PDA

View Full Version : Is this poker proposition bet beatable?

McBandit
12-12-2004, 06:05 AM
A friend whom I gamble with on all sorts of crazy proposition bets has offered me an interesting game.

He will play me a heads-up NL Holdem freezeout with equal starting stacks. He will play every hand blind, but I have to give him 2:1 on the money.

I mentally went over it in my head to figure out what the deal is. I figure he will raise all-in every single hand preflop to steal the blinds and skew the stacks sizes. Even if I call my AK to his 72 I am only about a 75:25 favorite to win the hand. He will be happy to go heads up with anything 66:34 or better, but with all the blinds he will steal is this a game I can beat in the long run?

Now I suspect this game is beatable if the blinds are small compared to the stack sizes. Like 500 chips each with 1/2 blinds so I'll have time to wait for 99-AA, AJ-AK, KQ.

My friend, while a smart gambler, is not a big poker mind, so I doubt he cooked up this game on his own. I bet it's a prop that has been out in the poker community before and he heard about it somewhere.

Anyways, I wanted to try it for $20, but he won't take anything less than my $1000 to his $500 per game, so I know he is really confident about his end of the bet.

What do all you stats/math/probablility people think?

mosquito
12-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Sklansky discusses this very problem in his
book on tournament poker. It related to strategy
by a weak player against a skilled player, and
various related issues such as how much to
settle a tournament prize fund between these
two based on optimum strategy.

I don't recall everything, but you should
look at the book. I'm sure your pal did.

Iceman
12-12-2004, 10:33 AM
If the stacks are 10000, and the blinds are 50-100, if he just raises all-in every hand he has a 39% chance against perfect play. That's because almost all hands in holdem run close in value preflop - except for the rare occasion of the time you have a high pair you're unlikely to be much of a favorite over a random hand.

JRegs
12-12-2004, 04:00 PM
That's interesting. Let us know how it goes, if you go through with it.

Personally, I think that $1000 is a little steep though, especially if you don't know exactly what you're getting into.

bigredlemon
12-12-2004, 04:50 PM
And that's presuming he's going all in everyhand.

Can he just call the blinds and then fold after?

thirddan
12-12-2004, 05:20 PM
there would be no purpose for him to just call preflop, he won't know if the flop helps him or not because he doesn't get to look at his cards...

McBandit
12-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Ya, the numbers you give don't surprise me. I need to find blinds that push him below 33% against perfect play. Do you think 1/2 blinds with 1000 chips would beat him? That should give me enough time to wait for a dominating hand.

I also toyed with the idea of folding half of my horrible small blinds and calling with half. He would still have to raise all-in everytime I called the SB, and those calls would of course include my premium hands. This would slow the rate at which I bleed my chips to him.

Cheers,
McBandit

snowbank
12-12-2004, 09:33 PM
Will your friend do proposition bets with anyone?

bigredlemon
12-13-2004, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
there would be no purpose for him to just call preflop, he won't know if the flop helps him or not because he doesn't get to look at his cards...

[/ QUOTE ]Looks like I misread the question.

I thought he was pulling a Neganeau... calling every hand for a flop and seeing if he could still win based upon betting strategy and psychology.

aLOWdAkING
12-13-2004, 02:03 AM
According to Sklansky, it's a major advantage for your friend as discussed in TPFAP. Also, based on a very small sampling I have done, I would agree.

McBandit
12-13-2004, 03:17 AM
He'll gamble with anyone if he thinks he's got the best of it.

Do you want this bet from him or do you have prop bets of your own?

I got him once for a few hundred bucks by offering him 20 tries to roll a 12 with two dice for even money. To people with only a subtle understanding of probabilities it seems like 18 rolls is the break even point, but its actually 24.5.

bigredlemon
12-13-2004, 04:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He'll gamble with anyone if he thinks he's got the best of it.

Do you want this bet from him or do you have prop bets of your own?

I got him once for a few hundred bucks by offering him 20 tries to roll a 12 with two dice for even money. To people with only a subtle understanding of probabilities it seems like 18 rolls is the break even point, but its actually 24.5.

[/ QUOTE ]Wouldn't it be 1 in 36?
1/6 * 1/6 = 1/36 ?

bigredlemon
12-13-2004, 04:25 AM
two high cards vs two lower cards, he has a 10% edge over you. If you wait for a high pair to call his all in with, then you're in good shape.

But, that's presuming he'll go all in each hand. If he raises just a small amount and then fold to a reraise, then it'll depend on how well you two bluff. He'll have a huge edge if bluffing is used because he gets +EV to go all in with any hand except a hand you have an overpair.

flatline
12-13-2004, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be 1 in 36?
1/6 * 1/6 = 1/36 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the math goes like:
The chance to hit a single twelve in one throw is 1/36=0.02777777 or 1 to 0.02777777
The chance to hit a single twelve in two throws is ((1.0277777)^2)-1=0.0563 or 1 to 0.0563
And so on... it gets to 1 to 1 between 24 and 25 attempts.

I really need something better to do with my time.

Iceman
12-13-2004, 10:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ya, the numbers you give don't surprise me. I need to find blinds that push him below 33% against perfect play. Do you think 1/2 blinds with 1000 chips would beat him? That should give me enough time to wait for a dominating hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would have better than a 2/3 chance if the blinds were that small, since you'd probably have time to wait for a premium hand before the blinds would make any serious dent in your stack. Lets say you just call with AA-TT, all of which have at least a 3/4 chance of beating a random hand, and which average a 4/5 chance. You have more than a 2/3 chance of getting one of those in your first 50 hands, and there's only a 10% chance you won't get one of them in your first 100 hands.

Subfallen
12-13-2004, 01:28 PM
The math behind the 24.5 break-even point goes like this:
- The probability of not rolling 12 once is 35/36.
- The probability of not rolling a 12 over n rolls is (35/36)^n.
So the EV for the person rolling is:
- EV = (1 - (35/36)^n) - (35/36)^n

EV = 0 (even money bet) when:
- (35/36)^n = 0.5 =>
- n log (35/36) = log 0.5 =>
- n = 24.5

bigredlemon
12-13-2004, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The math behind the 24.5 break-even point goes like this:

[/ QUOTE ]that makes so much sense I wonder why I didn't think of it earlier. Maybe I'll go edit my post and take credit for it ahead of you guys /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

McBandit
12-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the stats for two overcards vs. two undercards. I figured that if I could essentially guarantee having two overcards (ie. AK, AQ) then I would be in good shape...I'll guess I'll have to wait for the big pairs.

Later,
McBandit

snowbank
12-14-2004, 01:41 PM
I want to give him prop bets.

pokerswami
12-14-2004, 11:44 PM
You say that you gamble with your friend on all sorts of proposition bets. I guess that you have played a lot of poker either with him or at least where he could watch you. Maybe he expects to add significantly to his EV because he believes he can read you - at least enough to give him an advantage over you.

Since this is a proposition, why not make an additional condition. Figure out a way where you can watch him but he cannot see you. It would be best if he couldn't even watch your hands enter chips. You could place them in a tray and have a third party push them into view of your friend. You could have some index cards already marked with all poker actions - "call" "fold" "raise" "bet" etc. - so he wouldn't hear you speak.

Just a thought.