PDA

View Full Version : Renteria to Boston

Clarkmeister
12-11-2004, 10:53 PM
I hate to see him go, but I applaud Jocketty for not paying the final price of $10-11mm per year. That's Tejada money and he's not Tejada. Unfortunately given budget constraints for the team next year, the resources are better allocated elsewhere and Walt has proven to be very shrewd at getting good value. Not signing Maddux last year and getting Suppan instead is a great example.

Hate to loose a good player and good clubhouse guy, but sometimes you've got to make tough choices. In a vacuum it's a very good pickup for the Bosox though.

Joe Tall
12-11-2004, 11:00 PM
Is this official Clark?

Clarkmeister
12-11-2004, 11:03 PM
I've seen two sources. One a reliable insider who posts on a Cardinal message board, the other is Ken Rosenthall of The Sporting News. I'd say it's a done deal but it has not been officially announced.

Joe Tall
12-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Boston is saying "it's close". They have been really high on Renteria for a few seasons now. I liked Cabrera and haven't seen enough of Renteria but now he's in Fenway which changes hitters. How's his overall fielding abilities?

Thanks,
Joe Tall

Clarkmeister
12-11-2004, 11:14 PM
He's an outstanding fielder. Something like 11 errors all of last year. His OPS last year was like 730 IIRC, and you can realistically expect something in the 740-790 range as last year was a down year. Has some back issues that he has dealt with but hasn't lost any real time because of it. With apologies to Andy, he's a big-time clutch guy who mans up in big situations. A perfect fit for the Sox in the #2 hole, but he prefers to hit down in the order so he can get more RBI chances. Supposedly a good clubhouse guy.

Kurn, son of Mogh
12-11-2004, 11:25 PM
The best part of this is that the Sox get to hang on to Hanley Ramirez for late July additions.

Joe Tall
12-11-2004, 11:31 PM
as last year was a down year.

He was off with the bet too, wan't he. Welcome to Fenway!

Woooot Woot!

ThaSaltCracka
12-12-2004, 12:17 AM
with the offense STL has, they are much better off spending that money on pitching than offense. Basically without Renteria, I would imagine the decline in offense will be negligable.

Seems like a good deal for Boston though, god damn how much money is this team gonna spend? No more can Boston fans complain about the Yankees buying their teams, IMO.

andyfox
12-12-2004, 02:22 AM
Who once said there was nothing wrong with Fenway that a few matchsticks couldn't fix.

He did pitch pretty well last year, especially for a 400 pound man who is 63 years old.

hoyaboy1
12-12-2004, 03:00 AM
2 years ago Renteria was great. Last year he was just a bit above average, and nowhere near worth what he just signed for. I suspect he'll be somewhere in between this year.

kyro
12-12-2004, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Seems like a good deal for Boston though, god damn how much money is this team gonna spend? No more can Boston fans complain about the Yankees buying their teams, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

unfortunately you're right. baseball sucks /images/graemlins/frown.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-12-2004, 04:37 AM
no, baseball doesn't suck. Teams can stay competitive in baseball, be happy for that.

Toro
12-12-2004, 09:24 AM
I guess the rumors that Boston would not allow their payroll to exceed $128 million because they are loathe to pay the luxury tax are untrue.

Toro
12-12-2004, 12:31 PM
The more i think about this, the more it puzzles me. Apparently they like Renteria better than Cabrera because they should have been able to get Cabrera for this kind of money.

Paluka
12-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Renteria is a much stonger player than Cabrera. His career OBP is .346 compared to .316 for Cabrera. He also showed more upside when he had a huge year in 2003.
I'm sad that baseball has become something where the same few teams sign all the players, but I'm glad to see this move by the Sox.

Toro
12-12-2004, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Renteria is a much stonger player than Cabrera. His career OBP is .346 compared to .316 for Cabrera. He also showed more upside when he had a huge year in 2003.
I'm sad that baseball has become something where the same few teams sign all the players, but I'm glad to see this move by the Sox.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've hit on it. I don't think the Sox brass were too crazy about Cabrera being a free swinger. They like guys who take the pitchers deep in the count and of course the OBP.

Clarkmeister
12-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Its official now. All over the wires.

Toro
12-15-2004, 02:13 PM
$40 million is incredible to me. I wonder how David Ortiz feels about the contract extension he signed during the season.

sthief09
12-15-2004, 02:32 PM
he's overrated, especially his defense. he's the type of guy (post-peak middle infielder) whose numbers fall fast and hard. you won't be missing him this time next year

nolanfan34
12-15-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its official now. All over the wires.

[/ QUOTE ]

The door is now wide open to make the move for Hudson.

I also like the rumor that they're close to signing Placido Polanco to play 2B. If they snag him and someone like Lugo at SS, they'll actually have an even better offense than this year.

Boris
12-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Hudson will not be traded. This is all rumor mill BS being put out by ESPN in order to drive viewership numbers. According to ESPN Sammy Sosa is also hot commodity. Laughable. The Cubs have been trying to pay teams to take Sammy ever since the season ended.

nolanfan34
12-15-2004, 02:57 PM
You want to bet on that? Hudson is going to get traded.

Sammy I agree, that's probably more of a rumor mill thing. But I think Billy Beane knows he can get a lot for Hudson right now, and I'd expect him to jump at the chance if he gets the right package of players.

Boris
12-15-2004, 03:24 PM
I'll bet $10 that Hudson is not traded prior to opening day. Beane will demand a player package that is worth $16-18m and only costs maybe $10m. He ain't gonna get it. As I've stated before, Hudson is a $13m guy and he only costs $6.75m. Why trade him? It doesn't make any sense.

nolanfan34
12-15-2004, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll bet $10 that Hudson is not traded prior to opening day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Done. PStars transfer OK for the winner?

sublime
12-15-2004, 03:55 PM
baseball sucks

no the NHL sucks.

followed by the NBA

sublime
12-15-2004, 03:59 PM
he's overrated, especially his defense. he's the type of guy (post-peak middle infielder) whose numbers fall fast and hard.

dude, hes 29 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif and has 9 full seasons (injury free) a ring, and numerous playoff at bats under his belt.

solid, low risk pick up that gives the sox some options.

ps
i will trade you theo for omar straight up!

j/k!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Toro
12-15-2004, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he's overrated, especially his defense. he's the type of guy (post-peak middle infielder) whose numbers fall fast and hard.

dude, hes 29 /images/graemlins/tongue.gif and has 9 full seasons (injury free) a ring, and numerous playoff at bats under his belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I like this move at all since I heard the big O make this anaysis on EEI this pm. He said the Sox should have let the cards sign Renteria for the 32 m. This would have set the market as he's the best SS free agent.

And Cabrera's agent has been waiting for this very thing, have Renteria sign and set the market. If they had done this, then they could have signed Cabrera for less money and used the difference to get more pitching.

Also I have to quibble with your take on this. I agree Renteria is solid but don't agree the deal is low risk. Laying out $40 million for one player is definitely not low risk.

sublime
12-15-2004, 05:10 PM
I don't think I like this move at all since I heard the big O make this anaysis on EEI this pm. He said the Sox should have let the cards sign Renteria for the 32 m. This would have set the market as he's the best SS free agent.

granted the big O is known for his vast baseball knowledge /images/graemlins/tongue.gif, but you just said it yourself, the BEST ss on the market. who we just signed /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And Cabrera's agent has been waiting for this very thing, have Renteria sign and set the market. If they had done this, then they could have signed Cabrera for less money and used the difference to get more pitching.

dude, they just saved 40m by not signing pedro, this deal gives them more collateral (hanley ramirez) to aquire more pitching.

Also I have to quibble with your take on this. I agree Renteria is solid but don't agree the deal is low risk. Laying out $40 million for one player is definitely not low risk.

an everyday player (gold glove winner, all star) who has never been hurt in 9 ML seasons, is young, proven and has faced some great pitching in his division (no balt/tb pitching staffs over there) where exaclty is the risk?

Boris
12-15-2004, 05:47 PM
ok.

kyro
12-15-2004, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no, baseball doesn't suck. Teams can stay competitive in baseball, be happy for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell that to the Pirates or the Expos. I love baseball, and I love the Red Sox. However, I think it's a shame that whoever has the most money will win the majority of the time. I realize there have been other teams outside of the Sox and Yankees who have won the WS, but it's no coincidence the top 2 teams in the AL East have been the same for the past 10 years or so.

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 05:52 PM
dude, Cabrera is no Renteria. He is no slouch each either, but still.

But in a way, I agree with you, Varitek isn't a sure thing either, right? Also, I thought I heard Lowe is basically gone too. Maybe Theo would have been better off resigning Cabrera and spending that money elsewhere. I don't want to be a doomsday guy, but things aren't looking great in Boston right now, IMO.

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 05:59 PM
The Expos are a totally different story entirely, but as for Pittsburgh, they have some serious front office problems. I think they have more than a few good young players, that they can be competitive, especially in that division.

You are right though, baseball needs to do something. I would like to see a system similar to the NBA's, whatever that is, but def not footballs.

sublime
12-15-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't want to be a doomsday guy, but things aren't looking great in Boston right now, IMO.

compared to who?

sure i want the pitching staff issues figured out. but the sox staff wasnt exactly lights out last year and they won 98 games.

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sure i want the pitching staff issues figured out. but the sox staff wasnt exactly lights out last year and they won 98 games.

[/ QUOTE ] do you really think there are any good or great pitchers out there? Loosing Pedro will probably hurt, atleast for one year, and it looks like Lowe is leaving too.... who knows, plenty of off-season left.

sthief09
12-15-2004, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

ps
i will trade you theo for omar straight up!

j/k!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

middle infielders discintigrate worse than players at any other position. he's fine now, but when he starts to fade, it'll happen fast. I wouldn't mind him on my team, but don't expect 4, or even 3, all star years out of him

sthief09
12-15-2004, 09:22 PM
I don't know how Derek Lowe is still regarded as "good" by some people. he's an innings eater at this point. that's it

if I were a Sox fan, I'd be excited about Arroyo

sublime
12-15-2004, 09:26 PM
middle infielders discintigrate worse than players at any other position.

besides catchers and pitchers you mean?

ThaSaltCracka
12-15-2004, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
middle infielders discintigrate worse than players at any other position.

besides catchers and pitchers you mean?

[/ QUOTE ]good question, I always though catcher was the worst.