PDA

View Full Version : I just saw the ad for "Tilt" on ESPN.

Joe Tall
12-11-2004, 10:38 PM
WTF is going on? Poker players like rock stars? It'll put more poker on TV but it looks silly. Anyone else see it yet?

ESPN TILT (http://espn.go.com/eoe/tilt.html)

Peace,
Joe Tall

BottlesOf
12-11-2004, 11:32 PM
There have been TILT ads for a while. Is this a new one? Do they actually show any of the characters?

Sponger15SB
12-12-2004, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There have been TILT ads for a while. Is this a new one? Do they actually show any of the characters?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they actually show characters. I was busy playing poker while it came on so i can't really tell you what i saw.

bdk3clash
12-12-2004, 02:25 AM
I'm mainly expecting it to suck but am open to the possibility of being pleasantly surprised, mostly because I think "Playmakers" was really good.

sammysusar
12-12-2004, 11:05 AM
player shoots someone
player does drugs at halftime
coach gets cancer
player gets someone pregnant
in about 3 episodes
can only imagine what tilt will be like
maybe poker players will form an association to protest how it negatively portrays them and get the show banned, ha

Joe Tall
12-12-2004, 03:48 PM
Is this a new one? Do they actually show any of the characters?

Yes, it was a full length trailer, so to speak. It looks horribly over dramatized. Mostlikey, good for the game but quite silly. Michael Madsen is the lead character. I think they called him 'The Matador'. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000514/)

Peace,
Joe Tall

sublime
12-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Mostlikey, good for the game but quite silly.

kinda like the WPT

MicroBob
12-13-2004, 12:05 AM
I suspect this means we will be seeing the Tilt-trailers/ad's non-stop for the next 3-4 weeks (until it debuts).

They aren't showing the ads for '3' anymore because they finally showed that movie....so Tilt is the next show they are going to hit hard.

I too suspect that it will be pretty ridiculous.
ESPN did Playmakers....but I thought Tilt was by some of the guys that did Rounders (which I actually enjoyed quite a bit....although I haven't seen it since having learned how to actually play).
Maybe some of the Playmakers guys are in on the Tilt thing too.

I guarantee that it will NOT be about a bunch of grinders and WILL feature guys staking each other and then stabbing each other in the back....busting-out....doing Coke between sessions...playing for 40 hours straight....etc etc.

I picture it to be more like the TV version of Jesse May's book 'Shut Up and Deal'.

I also am willing to be pleasantly surprised if it's half-way decent though.

jokerthief
12-13-2004, 12:54 AM
This is going to be a pain in the neck. It's already cumbersome to explain to people that poker isn't decadence in it's worst form. This may bring new players into the game but the price will be new and stronger sterotypes.

Popinjay
12-13-2004, 01:23 AM
I'll be honest, I can't wait to see this. Looks awesome.

scrub
12-13-2004, 02:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also am willing to be pleasantly surprised if it's half-way decent though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everything that EOE has done so far has been hideous. If it's not a steaming pile of excrement, I'll be a lot more than surprised.

scrub

bdk3clash
12-13-2004, 03:13 AM
I disagree--like I said before, I think "Playmakers" was excellent. I'll definitely be giving "Tilt" a chance, but if I had to bet I would say it's going to suck.

Popinjay
12-13-2004, 03:21 AM
huh? Have you seen Streetball? Excellent show imo.

flatline
12-13-2004, 04:16 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say this show will be pretty decent. However, most of the people here will just post crap like "Why didn't he raise the turn? This show sucks." Playmakers was one of the top 5 shows on non-HBO TV (in terms of quality) last season. If Tilt can equal or surpass it, I'll be quite happy.

MrDannimal
12-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Playmakers was solid. Not to mention close enough to the mark that the NFL dropped the hammer on ESPN to not renew it.

About the only thing that had happened in the series that hadn't happened in the NFL was the gay tight end (aside: how cliche is THAT?) coming out to his team and not being totally shunned.

And a lot of it happened during or after the series aired.

Pardon the Interruption is great, too.

shant
12-13-2004, 07:19 PM
EOE handles the WSOP and I think the way they film, edit, and handle on-screen graphics and sound is perfect. Streetball is also an excellent show, and my roomate swears by Playmakers. I'm looking forward to Tilt.

tek
12-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Oh, so I guess we'll see a bunch of college kids saying "ship it" while wearing Phil Lakk wannabe clothes...

Patrick del Poker Grande
12-14-2004, 02:09 PM
I just saw a commercial that had actors in it and was more than just a shot of Vegas and the word TILT on the screen. It looks absolutely pukingly disgustingly terrible. I guarantee it's going to get the wrong kind of attention drawn to poker and everything surrounding it.

Sponger15SB
12-14-2004, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
huh? Have you seen Streetball? Excellent show imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

every episode of street ball is 1/2 basketball and 1/2 a bunch of idiots talking about how they could make it in the NBA, but then them talking about how the completely blew their shot.

gets kinda old after a while.