PDA

View Full Version : playing rubbish from the BB

marching_on_together
12-11-2004, 08:37 PM
Ok one of those situations when your holding rubbish in the big blind then get a piece of it on the flop. How would you play this?

Anybody going to throw this one away on the river or argue with betting out the turn?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $1. MP2 posts a blind of $1.
UTG folds, UTG+1 (poster) checks, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, SB folds.

River: (10 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

molawn2mo
12-11-2004, 09:06 PM
Difficult decision but since Mp1 was first to vp$ip, then I think your flop check is correct but, alas, I feel you ought have folded to the flop bet. Your hand would do better in a limited field. Calling the flop with 7 players dooms you, IMHO.

You could bet out the flop if you were certain that UTG1 or MP1 would raise and fold out the others but this, too, seems wishful and appears to be lag.

I think the least desirable flop play here is to check call. There are just too many other hands that will beat you.

That said, the turn 8 is a good card for you, in a sense, but I think that you would still want to see this river as cheap as possible. Betting out will fold weak overs but leaves you open to a C/R. What if C/R?

Now the dreaded club hits the river and your 77 may be counterfeited. You bet out?

Tough hand made tougher by a bad decision on the flop, I think.

ErrantNight
12-11-2004, 10:09 PM
i don't disagree with check/calling here... as long as your intention was to raise a late position bet. betting out might be better, but i think you'd prefer to take initiative and fold some hands. UTG+1 took this option away, and i don't feel great about raising the field. i might toss this here, instead. you've got a weak hand with a weak draw... even if it is the best right now, it's not likely to hold up without improvement to the river. you've got more than sufficient odds to take one off, but i wouldn't lose any sleep about moving on to the next hand.

on the turn... it's quite likely you have the best hand... but i'd like betting more if you led the flop or had c/r the flop, here it just seems odd... and your two-pair outs may be counterfeit...

i don't think you're getting raised by anything more on this river than a pair of queens (although it's not inconceiable that this was a club draw), but i don't think you can call this. anybody with overcards has a better kicker, plus that whole flush thing.

muck.

this may be a lil weak/tight of me... but you've never really got a chance to chase people out of the pot with a vulnerable hand in bad position... i think you coulda given this up in a lot of spots. as it was, you may have have been ahead until the river, but just as frequently you'll find you're behind on every street.

marching_on_together
12-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Both resposes so far seem to put forward really weak play and seem to be giving up far too much. Perhaps i should explain some of my thinking.

"Difficult decision but since Mp1 was first to vp$ip, then I think your flop check is correct but, alas, I feel you ought have folded to the flop bet. Your hand would do better in a limited field. Calling the flop with 7 players dooms you, IMHO."

So your advocating folding this, sorry i just think that's plain wrong. I don't love my hand but it's worth a call 1. i may have the best hand 2. i have the odds to see a turn card and hope to pick up a Q or 7. yes there two clubs on board but the chance that someone has two clubs in the hand is decreased by the fact this flop was not raised. I didn't bet the flop as at this table (and most party tables) i'm not going to get many to fold when facing one bet, rather i was hopeing for a late position bettor which i would have raised. By checking i also get to see what happens behind me if it had been bet and raised i would have folded, if it's checked round then that's not too bad as i get a free chane to improve (ok so does everybody else but in that case it wouldn't be a big pot and i could have easly folded this one is a scary card hit or there was scary action)

The turn card was good for me, i bet out as to others at the table this seems like an odd bet and may scare some overcards in to folding also my thinking was that if an eight was out there they would likely raise and i would have folded. I didn't want to just check call as there was a slim chance this might be checked through if the original bettor didn't have an eight, plus i think overcards are more likely to call a bet from the orginal flop bettor than one by me (as they may put me on an eight). As no one raised the turn i think there is a good chance my hand is good.

Now the dreaded club hits the river and your 77 may be counterfeited. You bet out?

you bet i do ok so the flush hit but i've no reason to put him on one as he should have rasied for value on the flop. if i check he will bet his bettor hands and check ones which i beat so i like betting out. Now i dont like his raise as there is not much i can beat here i called for info getting 13-1. I maybe should have not called the raise but i like all the rest. I lost to three eights (he didn't raise the turn as i had hoped an eight would).

Now was my thinking all wrong?

swarbre
12-12-2004, 07:27 PM
seems reasonable