PDA

View Full Version : river bet decision with a set, 4-flush showing.

bisonbison
12-11-2004, 08:33 PM
I have about 700 hands on the SB. He has decent taggy stats.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9 BB

chesspain
12-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Bison,

1) Why bother capping the flop once it's headsup? I would rather call and see what the turn brings.

2) Checking behind on the river is fine. TAG isn't check-threebetting the flop without 22, a made flush, or the A/K of /images/graemlins/spade.gif. And if he had the underset, he would have bet or checkraised the turn.

ricdaman
12-11-2004, 08:42 PM
I think your check is correct. I'm pretty sure you had him up until the river, and there is a huge possiblity he has the A of spades and needed the last spade. That said, the fact that you posted this makes me think he didn't have a flush. But regardless, I think the check is correct. I think you'll get check-raised here more often than SB will fold.

bisonbison
12-11-2004, 08:56 PM
I capped because I thought that most of the time I'd be ahead and that he might not bet into me on the turn unless I was behind.

Evan
12-11-2004, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there is a huge possiblity he has the A of spades

[/ QUOTE ]
I seriously doubt the A /images/graemlins/spade.gif is checking the river here. I also agree that checking is best, but I'd be shocked to see the other guy have the nuts.

molawn2mo
12-11-2004, 09:19 PM
"I capped because I thought that most of the time I'd be ahead and that he might not bet into me on the turn unless I was behind."

Don't you want him to bet into you on the turn? Maybe I'm off, here, but I think the read is that SB has Asx or Ksx since with SS he most assuredly should have bet the turn. 22 is possible but unlikely while 2 Broadways should have raised preflop.

So... when the non-S turns, you want him to bet out allowing you to C/R. He will call holding Asx but may fold lesser Spades.

River is good. In no way do you have a bluff bet here or a value bet, IMHO.

spamuell
12-11-2004, 09:24 PM
I can't be bothered to put anyone on a hand or look at the previous action because I am tired but I thought I'd say that in my experience TAGs generally just bet rivers with flushes and he probably has a pair so you win, the question is whether he would call the river with it.

Alexthegreat
12-11-2004, 10:39 PM
I think you check this hand here most of the time...plenty of players will check/call with small flushes here, so just because he doesn't bet or checkraise doesn't mean that you win...

I also don't think he calls with any hand you beat....

Michael Davis
12-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Logic dictates that you check but I'm tempted to bet anyways under the assumption that a decent TAG wouldn't check the river here with a flush.

-Michael