PDA

View Full Version : A10 suited complete miss standard or chip spewing?

mrpurple
12-11-2004, 06:19 PM
The table isbyour typical assortment of weekend calling stations. No one is playing especially well or doing anything unusual. My plan on the turn is to fold to a raise. I'm also folding to a river bet. Should I bet this river?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, UTG folds, MP1 folds.

River: (8.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

ErrantNight
12-11-2004, 06:49 PM
i think a flop bet is ok to try to buy the button (although the button's cold-call preflop is enough to definitely make me considering checking this through)

but against three opponents on the turn with absolutely nothing you can check/fold. you're not bluffing anyone out of this pot, most of the time, you're inviting a c/r (although the turn is a sufficient blank that i wouldn't be too worried, although party fish love to wait until the turn to do, well, anything), or an isolation raise from the button.

i think betting gets you in more trouble than anything else.

i'm not sure about a river value-bet though... i don't think busted flush or straight draws call you enough to keep you honest to make this worth it, and i'm inclined to think a 9 or a small pocket pair won't fold often enough to make up the difference.

zeitgeist
12-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Against 3 players, with two cards 9 or higher and flush and straight draws all possible, I wouldn't bet this flop, especially against weekend calling stations. Some or all of them are sure to call you (although in the heat of the moment I often fail to heed my own advice).

I quite like the check on the river though - the closing paragraph in ErrantNight's post is bang on in my view. Plus you might induce a bluff from a busted draw.

So what did he have?

Jeffage
12-12-2004, 12:12 AM
I would probably check the turn when four people call the flop. They aren't likely all on draws. If just one called, I'd see the logic of a turn bet more.

Jeff

CinnamonWind
12-12-2004, 12:18 AM
Call me crazy but when you miss a flop completely and have no draw of any kind except an overcard and backdoor straight against a bunch of stations, I'd consider even the flop bet chip spewing. Check, hope it gets checked by the one player behind you and you improve. You're behind and probably down to 3 outs. Time to move on.

HajiShirazu
12-12-2004, 03:49 AM
The turn bet is a waste of money IMO.