PDA

View Full Version : The river bet from nowhere....$6-$12 at the Borgata

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 06:09 PM
At this point of the session last night I had played a total of five hands. Since I had gotten very little to play, I decided to concentrate on my opponents play and mistakes I saw. I figured if I caught my opponents misplays I could better recognize my own. For the newer players who wonder what they should do when they go card dead, try this exercise.

New cast of character then the earlier hand I posted.

Nobody raised preflop and six players players saw the flop.

Flop 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

The big blind leads two players fold the next player raised everyone folded to the big blind who called.

Turn 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Big blind checked next player bet, big blind called.

River Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif10 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

The big blind fires out a bet, the next player hesitates and calls.

What did the big blind have what did the other player have.

brian0729
12-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Inital reaction: I may change my mind.

BB: J8
OP: A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Tx

Justin A
12-11-2004, 06:20 PM
BB has KJ with one /images/graemlins/diamond.gif. Other guy has something like AT or T9.

Justin A

ErrantNight
12-11-2004, 06:26 PM
ugh... well, your mention about watching other people's mistakes sets the mind a-wondering... was it the big blind or the other guy that messed this up?

the big blind is telling me on this river he's afraid of letting this get checked through (has a straight, flush, or just made new top pair on this board)... or he's thinking the Q is a scare card and is betting his own busted draw in the hopes that it's enough to buy the pot.

his play seems pretty erratic, unless the next player was inclined to check behind on the river, i would think he would be wise to c/r this river most of the time if he likes his hand, here. unless he was planning on folding to a reraise.

which brings us to the next guy. he doesn't reraise the river, so perhaps he has a low straight and is afraid of a poorly played flopped flush or a bigger straight (i suppose BB could have KJ?), he might raise the flop with something like two pair hoping to clear out low singleton diamonds, but i think a set he's reraising the river, still. and for that matter, i think he takes a shot with a straight, too. which leads me to believe he has a 10 with either a good kicker or an 8.

but the next guy from his position should conceivably have a reasonable holding to raise this flop with... so i'll put him on J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif T ?

the bb could have anything, so i'll say he indeed had KJ (maybe KQ?) offsuit with a diamond. making his mistake indeed the failure to c/r this river, although i think in the case of either holding an argument could be made for that river bet

but honestly, as my rambling probably shows... i have no idea.

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Welcome aboard.

Your on the right track.

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Brian,

Not even close.

brian0729
12-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Yeah. I usually suck at these.

Evan
12-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Although I suck at hand reading I still think this could be a pretty wide variety of hands, but I'll give it a shot. That game is crazy loose passive as I remember. So, let's try...

BB: QT
Other guy: T9/T7

I know these are both kinda boring guesses, but that game is very straightforwadly passive.

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 07:35 PM
The Big Blind turned over A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif

The other player had 77.

ErrantNight
12-11-2004, 07:38 PM
ugh. lee.

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 07:38 PM
ugh... well, your mention about watching other people's mistakes sets the mind a-wondering... was it the big blind or the other guy that messed this up?

The big blind did by attempting to bluff at the pot. I thought he had flopped the nut flush when he bet, I knew the other player did not have a flush because he did not raise. I put him on a two pair hand.

the big blind is telling me on this river he's afraid of letting this get checked through (has a straight, flush, or just made new top pair on this board)... or he's thinking the Q is a scare card and is betting his own busted draw in the hopes that it's enough to buy the pot.

Fantastic read.

but honestly, as my rambling probably shows... i have no idea.

You have an idea. You have given logical thoughts except for the river. The player with the set, feared a slow played flush.

ErrantNight
12-11-2004, 07:58 PM
a set seems like a pretty reasonable holding for the other guy to have, too :-)

the more i think about it... the worse i think the other guy raising with the hands i put him on would be, given that my read on bb slow playing a monster or bluffing (hence, not calling a reraise) is more accurate... i as flip-flopping around on my thoughts enough to not give this proper consideration.

but bb thinking that the other guy would give this pot up for one more bet on the river on that queen was pretty horrendous, whatever possible holdings he could put him on. i suppose it makes it pretty obvious he wasn't (putting him on a reasonable hand)

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 08:35 PM
but bb thinking that the other guy would give this pot up for one more bet on the river on that queen was pretty horrendous, whatever possible holdings he could put him on. i suppose it makes it pretty obvious he wasn't (putting him on a reasonable hand)

Exactly what I thought when he bet the river. Even a top pair hand will have a hard time folding in that spot. Had the BB check raised bluffed, then he might have taken it down.

scrub
12-12-2004, 12:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Had the BB check raised bluffed, then he might have taken it down.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

scrub