PDA

View Full Version : Set on a 3-flush flop

ilya
12-11-2004, 06:04 PM
I've flopped a set on a 3-flush board twice in two days, and I'm not entirely sure how to deal with it. Here's the line I took in one of these hands:

***** Hand History for Game 1288327374 *****
NL Hold'em $20 Buy-in + $2 Entry Fee Trny:7822404 Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Saturday, December 11, 16:51:19 EDT 2004
Table Table 13945 (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: matthewcory ( $508 )
Seat 3: odessajc ( $890 )
Seat 4: ibeatkgb ( $800 )
Seat 5: chucker50 ( $800 )
Seat 6: bradygo ( $800 )
Seat 7: SMGHOKIE ( $822 )
Seat 8: DustDevil23 ( $1025 )
Seat 9: ButchHann ( $860 )
Seat 2: mrzarembsky ( $770 )
Seat 10: MIKEGE ( $725 )
Trny:7822404 Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to mrzarembsky [ 5s 5c ]
chucker50 calls [15].
bradygo folds.
SMGHOKIE calls [15].
DustDevil23 calls [15].
ButchHann calls [15].
MIKEGE folds.
matthewcory folds.
mrzarembsky calls [15] (BUTTON)
odessajc calls [5].
ibeatkgb checks.

** Dealing Flop ** [ Qd, 5d, 2d ] (7-HANDED, POT = 105)
odessajc checks.
ibeatkgb checks.
chucker50 checks.
SMGHOKIE checks.
DustDevil23 bets [115].
ButchHann calls [115].
mrzarembsky calls [115]
odessajc folds.
ibeatkgb folds.
chucker50 folds.
SMGHOKIE folds.

** Dealing Turn ** [ Ks ] (3-HANDED, POT = 450)
DustDevil23 bets [125].
ButchHann calls [125].
mrzarembsky calls [125].

** Dealing River ** [ 3c ] (3-HANDED, POT = 825)
DustDevil23 bets [225].
ButchHann is all-In.
mrzarembsky folds.

willperkins
12-11-2004, 06:24 PM
This is a tough situation. I do not claim to be an expert and will bow to others more knowledgeable than me, but since this is a SNG and another will start in less than a minute, I would bet the pot after that raise and call on the flop. Since my pot sized bet is more than 40% of my chips, I push them all in.

If they are in with a AQ, or KQ you may push them off. If they already have the flush or a draw with 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gifs, they will call. However, even if they call, you still have 10 outs to quads or a boat.

Merlyn22
12-12-2004, 07:05 AM
I am not quick to release a set, even on a 3-flush flop. This situation, however is a little different. You're only on level 1 first of all - You don't have to jeopardize a big chunk of chips in case you have to improve to win. Also, 7 people limped into this hand. If I'm playing with only 1 or 2 others in the hand, then I would be very aggressive with this hand. When there are 7 people in the hand, someone bets at the flop and another player smooth calls him, I'll probably let the set go on the flop. Most PP players are going to slowplay the flush at least until the turn, and some don't ever raise until the river. Releasing a set is hard, but in this situation, it's probably the right move. Just my opinion - I could be wrong.

Apathy
12-12-2004, 07:24 AM
I really do not like the weak line taken in this hand. Why call the turn if your not going to call the river? From the action on the turn you have to know one of the two players will be moving in on the river. I probably call the flop and then if the four flush does not hit the turn, I probably push or if the action makes it look like someone has the flush made I fold.

This hand looks like the villians could have a pretty wide range of hands, nut draw, two pair, pair+ flush draw. I think I would have to push the turn here especially since it is early in the SNG where I like to gamble the most /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Benholio
12-12-2004, 08:01 AM
Well, normally I would have ended up mostly or completely in here on the flop or the turn, but this is one of the hands I will gamble with more than any other. Upon further anaylsis, I really don't mind your line at all.

I don't mind the call on the flop, with 2 players already in and several behind you.

I don't mind the call on the turn either, since we have plenty of pot odds to draw to our 10 outs, and great implied odds if we hit. We are basically deciding to play the hand as a drawing hand at this point, with the option of showing it down unimproved on the river if the action is light enough.

Since we missed, and the action wasn't light at all, folding is ok. Especially since Butchhann's push looks suspiciously like a slowplayed flush. I guess he could have had 2 pairs or something, and was just waiting to make sure the 4-flush didn't come out before raising, but whatever.

spydog
12-12-2004, 01:05 PM
I like the call on the flop. I push the turn 100% of the time when the flush card doesn't come. Even if they have the flush, which most of the time they won't, I have 10 full house outs.

Since you called the turn, I think the river fold is fine, as the slowplayed flush or ugly wheel are good possibilities.