PDA

View Full Version : Live 3/6 Hand - Flopped Nuts Goes Bad

chucksim
12-11-2004, 06:00 PM
Playing live 3/6 game at the Taj. Game is somewhat loose passive. Only one somewhat aggressive player who is not in this hand. A fair amount of hands have been getting checked around on the flop.

Player to my immediate right is the ultimate calling station. Calls everything pre-flop and doesn't put any money in first unless he has any hand (bottom pair will do), otherwise he's calling 99% of the time. Comments on all streets appreciated.

I'm in the BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif

6 players to the flop for one bet. Flop comes:

8/images/graemlins/club.gif 10/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Calling station checks, I bet the nut straight (should I gamble and try for a CR?). 4 callers.

Turn is A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

About the last card I wanted. Still, I bet (should I slow down?) figuring I'll find out if I'm beat. Two callers, a solid player behind me and the calling station to my right.

River is the 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Now the calling station in the SB bets. Now what? Am I still good 1 time out of nine to justify calling, especially with the player behind me?

As I said, comments on all streets appreciated. TIA.

Nick C
12-11-2004, 07:32 PM
On that flop, there's a good chance someone likes something enough to bet, but I'd probably just lead. I don't really want it getting checked through.

On the turn, I'd bet again, thinking there's a good chance I still have the best hand.

Although I've run into a couple of players in live games who might bet the river without a flush, not as an intentional bluff but because they just made a pair of sixes and they like their hand, I don't think my chances are really good enough here. So I think folding is best (especially with the solid player left to act). I think most players, including calling stations, are scared of four-flush boards when they don't have a card in the appropriate suit. So since SB isn't a bluffer, I wouldn't expect him to bet into such a board against two players, unless he had a flush.

Heads-up with SB, I'd probably call him and hope to be shown something like T6.

ErrantNight
12-11-2004, 07:41 PM
i think you can fold up shop. i'd be inclined to toss in one more but wouldn't. if you were last to act and it was folded to you i think a crying call would be ok, but there's a better chance of it being raised than everyone folding behind you, and if your shot to take this down is slim to none on your immediate call, the first overcall assures your blown chips.

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 07:47 PM
Chuck,

When a calling station bets when a flush gets there, the calling station has a flush.

You played it well. Bet all streets, however your almost always a loser on the river.

Any diamond beats you.

chucksim
12-12-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the replies...I folded, and the player behind me folded as well, complaining that his two pair were leading all the way and he got beat on the river.

The SB showed us 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif as he yelled "Straight!!! Ship It!!!"

Even though there wasn't a diamond to be found, I don't feel nearly as bad folding now, as all that kept running through my head was Ed in SSH saying "don't fold for one bet on the river". I feel I had to be cautious with the guy behind me, though. Thanks again.

bdk3clash
12-12-2004, 10:59 PM
I think folding the river is fine getting like 8:1 with a player yet to act behind you.