PDA

View Full Version : 10/20 Face-up Hold 'em

Danenania
12-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Live 10/20 at Turning Stone which I term Face-up Hold 'em because of the incredibly predictable and insanely passive play. Every mistake that can be made in poker these guys make, even though they are actually trying to play well. They just can't. But they are a very pleasant group of guys.

The first hand I played was QQ in LP (no posting). I had raised, BB called. Flop was K high. BB bet flop, I called, bet turn blank, I called, checked river blank, I checked. BB flipped K7o. I never had to call another flop bet in this situation the rest of the night. I never made a "crying call" on the river where I thought I was probably beat but had to call due to odds. A free card raise worked 100% of the time, as did a free showdown raise. It was never capped preflop and only 3bet 5 or 6 times in 7 hours. Actually it was never capped on any street period.

Anyway, this hand comes a couple hours into the session and I am up about a rack at this point and getting quite a bit of respect. I have only lost one or two hands and have shown down several very strong ones.

MP3 here is quite loose and very passive preflop, very passive and predictable postflop. Can call down with nothing or fold an overpair on a paired board for one flop bet depending on his mood. Won't raise without close to the nuts. Seems to feel guilty when he does.

SB is loose and fairly passive preflop. Though he will occasionally 3-bet with hands like AJo he can also limp with AA/KK. He is increadibly tight/passive postflop. If he raises preflop with AK and misses the flop, he will check/fold even heads-up. He will fold TPTK on the turn after a flop 3-bet or to a turn/river raise. Once every 10 hands played or so, however, he seems to become frustrated and call down with whatever he has. He may feel that I am playing overaggressively. Also loves to slowplay. Will check behind with a set in last position even on a draw heavy flop.

BB is very loose, very passive preflop, very passive and predictable postflop.

Hero has the Button and looks down at 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. All fold to MP3 who open limps. CO folds, Hero raises, SB cool calls, BB calls. 4 to the flop for 8 SB.

Flop: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif6 /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Checked to Hero (big surprise) who bets. SB quickly calls. BB folds, MP3 calls. 3 to the turn for 5.5 BB

Turn: 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Checked to Hero who bets. SB quickly calls again. MP3 grumbles something about never beating me and mucks. Heads-up to the river for 7.5 BB.

River: Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB checks, Hero bets...

Richard Berg
12-11-2004, 05:24 PM
SB sounds like someone who may be setting a stupid, fishy, but nonetheless painful trap e.g. holding trips. Yet, if he's as predictable as you say, then the river value bet is super-easy because you can fold to a c/r; since you never have to pay 2 bets to see a showdown, and he will just as often pay off with weird holdings (or perhaps fold a better 6), I think it's clearly +EV.