PDA

View Full Version : face cards with short stack

06-13-2002, 11:25 AM
I've been wondering lately what is a correct strategy for betting with large hole cards when you are moderately short stacked at a table.

An Example would be 2 off the button holding AQ. Blinds are 30 60 and you hold 500. Everyone else is at ~1200.

If you go all in you could get beat with any pair. (I have noticed a lot of people do this aware of your stack size). If you make a small raise, any cold call gives you no information. Anything larger and you risk the rest of your stack anyway. If your reraised, when do you fold?

Should you just call and wait for a good flop?

How bout same scenario except you are under the gun. Or middle position. Calling seems better here. I almost feel you need to wait for a pair to make a good move.

Any thoughts?

j.m.

06-13-2002, 02:34 PM
With blinds of 30-60 and only having 500, I am rarely going to limp with any hand. If I am first in I will raise to 180 or so. I know Ciaffone recommends going all-in if you are betting 1/3 of your stack. I normally go all-in if I am betting 1/2 of my stack. With limpers I may go all-in. If you don't go all-in and you miss then you have a decision what to do.

Now not all large face cards are created equal. In late position and no callers I most likely treat them all the same and raise. In early position it depends on how the table is playing and the actual cards.

The other important thing is when will the blinds be going up and how much do they go up?

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com