PDA

View Full Version : Maniac Play?

paco
12-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Hey all, I would appreciate some feedback on this hand.

3/6 Party 5 handed

I have A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG folds, I raise, button folds, SB reraises, BB folds, I call
Flop: 3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB bets, I raise, SB reraises, I call
Turn: A /images/graemlins/heart.gif
SB bets, I raise, SB reraises, I call
River: J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB bets, I call

Opponent holding: AK
Ok, ok, I know this looks maniacal, but here's my logic:
I was worried preflop obviously, but when the flop came out undercards and he bet I had to go for the semi-bluff raise. I called his reraise because the pot was pretty big by then and had two overcards (although it seemed clear I was already beat). Plus, why wouldn't he wait raise me or bet into me on the turn with pocket AA? Then when I hit the ace on the turn I think I should have just called down but made a mistake and raised hoping he had TT through KK. I was hoping the J counterfeited his kicker if he did have an ace, but of course it didn't.

I mean, I think this was too aggressive, but he was semi-bluffing on the flop and continued with the semi-reraise.
At what point should I have folded? After the initial flop bet? After re-raise on flop? Called flop and called down after ace fell on turn?

exist
12-11-2004, 04:26 PM
The part of the semibluffing equation you are missing here is that he won't fold. Thus it is no longer semibluffing , it's just bluffing, and it's a bad idea here. The small blind is VERY likely to have better hand than you, a hand that DOMINATES yours, and he will VERY often reraise. A better line is to call flop and fold turn without improvment or just fold on the flop.

Raising the turn is a bit dangerous, calling down may be better.

Jeff W
12-11-2004, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The part of the semibluffing equation you are missing here is that he won't fold. Thus it is no longer semibluffing , it's just bluffing, and it's a bad idea here.

[/ QUOTE ]

If his opponent won't fold, it's not bluffing either.

Jeff W
12-11-2004, 04:35 PM
Pre flop: fine.

Flop: The pot is not very big when you realize that your hand is weak and you can't win it with a raise. Never semi-bluff when your opponents won't fold.

Turn: Raising the turn is bad here. Your hand has a decent chance of being best, but if you raise you will always be 3-bet by a better hand and you may stop Villain from bluffing. You don't want KQo or 88 to fold when they're probably willing to pay you at least 1 more bet.

River: Having played the hand as you did, I would call the river. If I had played the hand as I suggested, I think it's close between calling and raising, but I would call because I have to call a 3-bet and I am behind quite often even w/ the counterfeiting kicker card.

Next time, please don't reveal your results.