PDA

View Full Version : J9s - 3 Bet from the back in a Wild Hand

pokerstudAA
12-11-2004, 02:25 PM
Starting to question some of my results and going back to review some key hands. Please tell me if these are routine plays. Is this the standard?

I got berated for my play after this hand and am wondering if there was any mistake or misplay involved. Thanks for the input....

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG+1 posts a blind of $5.
UTG folds, UTG+1 (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: Keep in mind the UTG+1 poster's dead money (who clearly had no idea...) The UTG+2 - initial raiser/capper- was a LAG who had played decently up to this point. With the cold call between myself and the raiser I decided my J9s was playable but wanted to raise it - attempting to buy the button and mabye get a few over cards in LP or the blinds to fold. The cap from UTG+2 made me put him on a big hand AK, AA, KK, or QQ. Mabye AQ or JJ. Any others I should consider?

Flop: (17.40 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: No reason to check here - make any diamond draw pay. I definately think the trip 9s ares good with no more diamonds.

Turn: (10.20 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: I probably should have raised here looking at this...but I seen something fishy was going on with UTG+2 capping prefolp and trapping with a big pair.

River: (22.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

River: Ah, the diamond. I guess if UTG+2 has a big pair he cannot have aflush. MP2? F-it. Bet. Value bet or asking for check raise?

Final Pot: 25.20 BB

Allright poker pros - Help me out....rip it apart (tough skin).

Entity
12-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Your preflop 3-bet is terrible. Just fold. I don't even think it's close to good enough to call with just one caller in between and a poster.

Postflop play is ABC, but your preflop play was really really really bad.

Rob

Sir Limps Alot
12-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Fold Pre Flop
3 bet is very bad play, if you play it that is the kind of hand you want alot of players in so to thin the field goes against the concept of playing that hand.

YOu probably lost to K 9 or A 9 from UTG+2 and MP2 had an over pair

pokerstudAA
12-11-2004, 02:57 PM
What if you have two callers in between? Would you enter the pot then with J9s and would you enter it by raising or just cold calling hoping to bring the blinds and the UTG poster along for a big multi-way pot?

Entity
12-11-2004, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What if you have two callers in between? Would you enter the pot then with J9s and would you enter it by raising or just cold calling hoping to bring the blinds and the UTG poster along for a big multi-way pot?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. J9s simply doesn't have enough power for you to make up your deficit in implied odds often enough. Say UTG raised, got 6 callers, and you had JTs OTB. Then, yeah, I think it's fine.

Calling here is bad and 3-betting is pissing your money away.

Rob