PDA

View Full Version : Pokertracker and SnGs

Phill S
12-11-2004, 02:16 PM
a few days ago, i did what i should of done a long long time ago. i downloaded the free demo of pokertracker.

getting PT has been on my to do list for a long long time now, and (after i buy the full version over the weekend) im very very glad i did.

$50, what an investment.

to give you guys an idea of how good it is, from just the 1000 hands allowed in the demo, over 16 games, ive been able to go over hands played by level, spotting where im overplaying. i know where im being aggressive (and overagressive) and i know where im making and losing the most chips.

my bubble analysis shows weak areas, ive spotted a serious weakness in overplaying AQ (ive always wondered this about my early play, this confirmed my suspicions).

once i have the full version and load all my games, im looking at ROI, ITM and other such stats, and this is just what ive discovered.

maybe im just last on the boat, but if any of you guys are serious about your game, this should be an investment that will pay itself back in no time.

Phill
ps, just so there is no misunderstanding, i have no affiliation with pokertracker in any way, shape or form.

eastbay
12-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Uh, slow down there pardner.

I think you may be drawing premature conclusions from 1k hands. It really isn't enough to be saying anything at all.

eastbay

Scuba Chuck
12-11-2004, 03:06 PM
Eastbay, are you suggesting that one might not really benefit from using Poker Tracker? I currently use the Aleo spreadsheet to track stats , and I am a poker neophyte - climbing the bankroll ladder (at $11 table now).

I am always intrigued by the PT talks and have consistently considered the purchase. I also respect your opinions. Can you elaborate?

Scuba

eastbay
12-11-2004, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eastbay, are you suggesting that one might not really benefit from using Poker Tracker? I currently use the Aleo spreadsheet to track stats , and I am a poker neophyte - climbing the bankroll ladder (at $11 table now).

I am always intrigued by the PT talks and have consistently considered the purchase. I also respect your opinions. Can you elaborate?

Scuba

[/ QUOTE ]

1k hands is just too small a sample to really be drawing any real conclusions about things, especially particular hands. Consider pocket pairs, for example. You'll get each pocket pair 1/221 hands, so you'll have about 5 instances of any pocket pair in a 1k hand sample. That's just not enough to draw any conclusions about how you're playing it by the results you're getting.

However, PT is worth the $55 IMO.

eastbay

SuitedSixes
12-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Sample sizes aside. I don't use PT as much now that I don't play ring games. Although, maybe I should. It is most helpful for storage of hand histories (you can export tournament results to Excel spreadsheets like AM's) and after a bad beat I like to replay a hand WPT style. PT shows you the % that each hand has to win. It is helpful to see either A) how lucky the other guy was or B) I wasn't nearly as invincible as I thought. Bottomline . . . all serious poker players should have it.

lacky
12-11-2004, 09:19 PM
How do you export the results to excel. I never knew you could do that. I just looked, but I cant figure it out.

Steve

SuitedSixes
12-11-2004, 11:40 PM
Press the little <P> on whatever report you want exported (like you are going to print it). There will be an option to Export on the preview. Excel format is one of the options. It will ask you for a file to export it to, I think you can make a new name, but I just keep an SNG spreadsheet on my desktop that just gets re-written everytime. I don't think you can have it export to a specific sheet in a notebook so I then cut and paste into the other spreadsheet.

lacky
12-11-2004, 11:49 PM
excellent, thanks. wierd he didn't just put a little e by the little p like he did in the ring game summery exports though.

Steve

Phill S
12-13-2004, 07:25 AM
yeah, my bad, i didnt mean to say i was drawing definitives from the stats as such, just seeing the couple of instances i saw AQ in this 1K sample, and watching how i played it i was litterally telling myself im a dumb ass falling in love with that hand.

Phill

ghostface
12-13-2004, 08:14 AM
I have pokertracker for limit play and I use the spreadsheet for SnG play. Its just too much of a hassle for me to get a email tourney summary of every single one that I play in. And the hands are still saved in PT that you play so they can be reviewed. All that the email tells PT is what place you finished so that PT can calculate your ITM and ROI. Aleo Magus's spreadsheet does all this just fine but it is great to be able to review your past hands in PT.

Phill S
12-13-2004, 09:21 AM
all you need to do is edit onto the stored HHs the summary - what buy in it was, where did you finish, and game type.

the hands themselves are stored on the hard drive.

Phill

ghostface
12-13-2004, 10:06 AM
I find the spreadsheet ridiculously easy. I dont think its even worth my time to try to find the HH files and edit them when I can enter tournament results with 2 clicks and two key presses with the sheet.

PE101
12-13-2004, 10:25 AM
You’re correct that the odds of getting pocket Aces is 220:1, likewise those are the odds of getting pocket Kings, or Queens, etc.

220:1 is the odds of getting a specific pair.

Overall, the odds of getting a pocket pair is 16:1 (5.88%).

So, the number of pocket pairs you should get in 1000 hands is ~59.

Guy McSucker
12-13-2004, 10:35 AM
Eastbay said you'd see around 5 instances of each PP in a 1000 hand sample. He is right, and his statement in no way conflicts with anything you have said.

Guy.