PDA

View Full Version : UTG Experiment

Sir Limps Alot
12-11-2004, 01:54 PM
Over the past month I have been testing 2 theories on UTG raises and calls. Normally with A J suited or non suited I would limp ( full ring game) and I have won 3 out of 20 so basically around 15% of the time. But in the last 2 weeks I have been raising these hands in UTG and my winning percentage has sky rocketed and won 4 out of 10 which is 40%. I am curious to see what others experiences are in this exact situation. Big bets won are very close due to people folding to the raise and limiting pot size with pre flop raise. I know that the game dictates part of your decision making but statistically what is the best play.

sthief09
12-11-2004, 02:01 PM
raising > limping

your sample size is way too small to determine anything other than "I got luckier raising than limping"

Sir Limps Alot
12-11-2004, 02:05 PM
That is why I am asking to hear what others have percentages so that I dont continue to make a mistake if one is being made. What are your feeling of the play either way.

sthief09
12-11-2004, 02:16 PM
raising is better. it has been proven by players better than me. the reason is because it has great high card power for small pots, and great multiway value for big pots. also, when playing from out of position, initiative is a huge help. the burden of hitting the flop is on your opponents. you can miss the flop completely and still win, while they are more or less forced to play "fit or fold."

I don't think anyone here limps with AJs so no one will have numbers to support one of the other. I also don't think anyone has played enough hands to get AJs UTG enough to conclude anything. you'd need something like 10,000-30,000 hands to come to a conclusion, and even then, if it's at all close, you'd need more hands.

Spicymoose
12-11-2004, 02:20 PM
As for whether or not AJo wins more money by limping or raising UTG, I don't know. But as to the results that you mentioned, of course you are going to win a higher % of the time if you open raise. More people will fold, you will have less competition, and you will be the aggressive one. The question isn't only how many pots you win, but also how big those pots are. I bet your average pot size from limping is a bit bigger than average pot size from raising.

Stu Pidasso
12-11-2004, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been raising these hands in UTG and my winning percentage has sky rocketed and won 4 out of 10 which is 40%

[/ QUOTE ]

Your raise limits the field. Limiting the field increases your pot equity so its not unexpected you would win more hands.

The problem is these hands are easily dominated. When you lose with them you often lose the maxium and when you win with them you tend not to win a whole lot. You may be winning a higher precentage of the time, but you may not be winning more money over the long run. Conversely you may be losing less hands and still be losing more money.

In certain games it is correct to raise with AJs utg others it is correct to fold. Raising with AJs utg may be the correct stragtegy for your game.

Just some thoughts

Stu

Nick C
12-11-2004, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In certain games it is correct to raise with AJs utg others it is correct to fold. Raising with AJs utg may be the correct stragtegy for your game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean AJo?

I have never folded AJs UTG.

Sir Limps Alot
12-11-2004, 02:37 PM
Raise not fold

sthief09
12-11-2004, 02:42 PM
also, AJo is close. most people around here raise, because it gains you more action on your other raising hands, and because it makes the hand easier to play. limping with AJo is a pain in the ass.

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 03:00 PM
I would sooner raise with AJ off under the gun then to limp with it. I usually fold AJ off from utg.

AJ suited, different story. In an effort to vary your play switch up when you raise or when you limp. Flip a coin before your session. If the coin comes up heads raise with red limp with black, if the coin comes up tails raise with black limp with red.