PDA

View Full Version : Is This OK?

sthief09
12-11-2004, 01:27 PM
my standard line with AA is to cold-call in the CO or on the button if it's open-raised and folded around to me. I mentioned this to two people and they were a little surprised by it. Is it ok?

Entity
12-11-2004, 01:31 PM
It probably depends on how loose the blinds are and how good the open-raiser is. I'm probably not making it my default play, but I can definitely see reasons for it.

Are you playing AK the same way, or do you 3-bet with AK? KK? QQ?

Rob

ErrantNight
12-11-2004, 01:31 PM
how many other hands do you cold call with in that situation?

vs.

how many hands do you reraise with?

ErrantNight
12-11-2004, 01:34 PM
i'm out the door... but i don't think it's a bad line... although i tend to play AA pretty straightforward

Alobar
12-11-2004, 01:36 PM
I think most of the time it's just better to 3 bet, especially if it was an EP open raise as it means its more likely he really has a hand instead of on a steal/weak raise, and if either blind comes along its way more profitable than cold calling.

but yeah, sometimes I do this under the right circumstances (never with AK, or QQ, RARELY with KK)

The Dude
12-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Yeah, good line. Nobody online is really paying enough attention to realize that this is the only hand you do this with in this situation, although coldcalling AQs or even AKs isn't a bad idea either.

Entity
12-11-2004, 01:39 PM
So if you'll coldcall with AA but none of the other hands, assuming EP isn't a complete donk, don't you think it's pretty detectable?

I guess I shouldn't assume EP isn't a complete donk, though.

Rob

Richard Berg
12-11-2004, 01:55 PM
You'll get AA once every 220 hands. You'll get it in LP once every ~500 hands. You'll get it in LP facing an open-raise and no callers maybe once every 2500 hands. An opponent would have to see you do this at least a couple times to establish a pattern, say 5000 hands minimum.

So...how many random Party 3/6 players have you watched closely for 5000 hands?

sthief09
12-11-2004, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So if you'll coldcall with AA but none of the other hands, assuming EP isn't a complete donk, don't you think it's pretty detectable?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

1. there are very few people who pay attention or have PT + playerview
2. there are very few people who don't cold-call second in

add 1 and 2 together, and it makes it pretty damn unlikely for this to be a detectable play. even tight players cold-call 2nd in. in a live game, I wouldn't do it. I did it once after about 10 hours at the table against a weak-tight player and he called me out on having a monster

Entity
12-11-2004, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

1. there are very few people who pay attention or have PT + playerview
2. there are very few people who don't cold-call second in

add 1 and 2 together, and it makes it pretty damn unlikely for this to be a detectable play. even tight players cold-call 2nd in. in a live game, I wouldn't do it. I did it once after about 10 hours at the table against a weak-tight player and he called me out on having a monster

[/ QUOTE ]
Very true. I'd just think that because I'm 3-betting the majority of my hands here (and HU, KK is definitely a monster), I'm just as inclined to 3-bet AA. If I'm up against a guy who will spew with TPTK when a Q flops to his AQ, though, I can definitely see justification for this.

Rob

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Josh,

It depends on the player who raised you. Have a reason for every move you make. No wasted movement.

I have done that in the past, however I have done it because back then when I three bet it meant I had AA or KK. Now I three bet with more hands then AA and KK so my more observant opponents do not always put me on a big hand.

If the player does not become spooked by you calling and will bet the entire way, call the flop bet and then raise the turn.

sthief09
12-11-2004, 02:32 PM
actually, my main reason for this is to invite the blinds in. most of the time, if both blinds call, it'll go check-check-bet-raise, so I get their money preflop plus they only get to see the turn if they have a hand that's good enough to call the flop getting ~6-1, against AA

James282
12-11-2004, 03:31 PM
I will virtually always three bet it because there are pretty much no hands that I cold-call heads up against a PFR with not many to act behind me, and it would scream monster. My three-betting standards are much more liberal, so this actually disguises my hand better.
-James

Mike Gallo
12-11-2004, 03:49 PM
My three-betting standards are much more liberal, so this actually disguises my hand better.

Once I started three betting with more hands, I also disguised my hand better.

colgin
12-11-2004, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
actually, my main reason for this is to invite the blinds in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed that was your reason. I don't do it myself but it might be a good strategy if the blinds are tight. I'd be interested to hear what others say about this. This is the type of problem for which it would be nice to have some sims comparing the two approaches since i doubt anybody who has taken both lines in this spot would have enough examples of each to even come close to a statistically meaningful number of hands to compare.

Chris Daddy Cool
12-11-2004, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my standard line with AA is to cold-call in the CO or on the button if it's open-raised and folded around to me. I mentioned this to two people and they were a little surprised by it. Is it ok?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey josh, quit giving away my secrets. though this isn't my *default* play, i do this from time to time probably more than anybody else who doesn't actually do this as their default play, and I do it with more hands than AA.

though if I'm really LAGging it up already on the table as I'm apt to do i'll just go ahead and 3-bet and they won't respect me anyways.

the main reason to do this is if the game is being a little on the tight passive side to encourage some customers preflop and some agression postflop.