PDA

View Full Version : Check out this Play - I think I screwed up

etgryphon
12-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Alright guys and gals...

I not sure how I played this hand so let me know...

10+1 UB SnG blinds 15-30 2 players gone

Important players:
CO (me) 1120 - Dealt 99
BB (villan) 1250 - Up and down in chips

Preflop:
1 limpers to me and I raise 90 only the blind calls

Flop: 8 10 J (Rainbow) Pot: 215
BB checks, I bet the pot and he calls

Turn: 9 (645)
BB checks, I bet the pot again for 645, he raises me allin

What do I do?

ghostface
12-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Well he sounds like someone who would call on the flop with even the ignorant gutshot draw (7). It looks like you are either doubling into the money or going out in 7th. I think its really personal choice whether you call here and try to fill with one card coming.

Sidekick
12-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Personally I think you have to call here. Due to betting the pot twice you only have 170 chips left at this point. Figure your odds of filling your boat against the size of the pot against what you have to put in again.

I would also figure in (subjective I know...) how difficult it is going to be to come back in this tourney with only 170 chips to work with at this point.

Personally I don't really like the pot sized bet on the turn with a 4 card straight on the board with your stack size. Unless you know when you make the bet that you are going to call villain if they come over the top of you, then your bet has crippled your chip stack.

I freely admit my advice might be wrong here, but I don't want to cripple my chip stack with my hand on that board at this stage of the tournament.

etgryphon
12-11-2004, 04:45 PM
Yeah I'm not sure about the turn bet...That was my question.

I've got a set, an OESD, 9 cards to the boat, for ~18 outs if I'm behind...

I just don't know what to do here...If he has a 7 or a Q I have like ~40% of making a better hand...

Should I have checked the turn or 1/2 pot bet?

-Gryph

captZEEbo1
12-11-2004, 06:57 PM
First problem is raising preflop with 99 at 15/30 blinds. You are better off limping, at least that's how I'd play. You are better off betting 1/2-3/4 of the pot usually. Pot bets aren't usually the best idea (when you're wrong, you're out of the tourny, or in bad shape). Betting the pot is a bad move on the turn too. He will only call you with a better hand (unless he's awful). A 1/2-pot bet might be okay here, seeing as the pot is getting pretty big. With that big of a bet on the turn though, you HAVE to call it and hope.

ChrisV
12-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Limp preflop. That way you can check the flop and won't get in deep like this.

On the turn, check. Any bet commits your stack and you aren't sure if you want to do that yet. If you check behind, if BB has a straight then on the river he'll assume you have a bad hand and bet small in an attempt to get you to call, so you'll escape with your stack intact. If BB doesn't have a straight he'll check the river and you can bet. The only downside is allowing a free card if the BB has a gutshot with a king... small downside though.