PDA

View Full Version : Folding AQ on semisteal

ghostface
12-11-2004, 10:46 AM
Party 10+1 NLHE Level 4 Blinds 50/100

Villain is Loose/Passive

Hero T1250
Villain T945

Hero is dealt A/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif on button.

Villain calls, CO folds, Hero raises to 325, 2 folds, Villain raises all-in, Hero folds

Was I already committed here or is this a good place to fold an AQo. I've learned not to get attached to AQ by now and I thought this was a good fold. More than anything I thought my fold equity was too big to continue with only 5 left and another short stack out there. Your thoughts?

Vetstadium
12-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Prob fold is right move however at this low limit buy in you see all sorts of crap people reraising all in. A lot of players have mentatity not pushing me around. You were probably favored buy main objective is to make it to money and since you were covered I guess right decision.

captZEEbo1
12-11-2004, 03:54 PM
you are raising too much preflop. Raise to about 250, it has the EXACT same effect as a raise to 325.

Desdia72
12-11-2004, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are raising too much preflop. Raise to about 250, it has the EXACT same effect as a raise to 325.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. one problem i see in low limit SNGs is raising TOO MUCH with TOO MANY people left at the table. A Q is not that bad of a hand at a short-handed table; however, i definitely agree with captZEE. chips become alot more important toward endgame/close-to-ITM situations and being able to save 200 or so chips here and there can come in handy. raise less and ditch when reraised.

*ending note- another problem i see in low limit SNGs is the inability to recognize when their hand is dominated/behind, as in a reraise preflop when you hold a good but not great holding.*

spentrent
12-11-2004, 06:45 PM
5-handed and the villain's limping UTG? Easy fold to his reraise... but maybe I'm too easily pushed around? I can see him doing this with AA|AK|KK|QQ and maybe JJ with his stack size.

Strollen
12-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Ok I don't understand why folding here is the right play. Pot odds are greater than 2-1. You are a roughly 45-55% dog against pair JJ or below. calling here is +EV chip against any thing except for KK, AA, or AK. If you lose you aren't even out.

Don't people blind steal with hands like Ax, Kx, and QJ? how do you know that the CO has a great hand as opposed to merely a good one?

ghostface
12-11-2004, 09:00 PM
Its not worth getting knocked down to 3 hundred some chips and having to survive one or more all ins to make the money.

I folded here and came in second.

I have a greater fold equity than the +EV. This means I stand to come in the money more often by folding than by calling. I figure to be a small favorite/big dog if I call and thats not a situation I want to be in with 5 left and be left with 3xx chips.

So captZEEbo and Desdia should I only make it more than 3BB to go with previous limpers with big pairs and AKs or just AA KK and QQ?

Desdia72
12-11-2004, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its not worth getting knocked down to 3 hundred some chips and having to survive one or more all ins to make the money.

I folded here and came in second.

I have a greater fold equity than the +EV. This means I stand to come in the money more often by folding than by calling. I figure to be a small favorite/big dog if I call and thats not a situation I want to be in with 5 left and be left with 3xx chips.

So captZEEbo and Desdia should I only make it more than 3BB to go with previous limpers with big pairs and AKs or just AA KK and QQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

i much prefer limping with A Qo on the button (moreso than raising to 250- "limit poker raising in a NL game"). it becomes tricky when you've raised on the button with what you think is not only probably the best hand but also a good steal hand, then get reraised or reraised all-in from a previous limper. had you limped and had to fold to a bet on the flop with a missed hand, you still have 225 (valuable) chips in your stack to use later. 3XBB is fine with big pairs (A A-J J) and A Ko/A Ks. a good player with a big stack can raise 3XBB with a wider variety of hands. i think it depends on the player and how well he can read the opposition. if a rock limps in and then reraises you all-in after you try a steal raise, what do you think? i've seen alot of player's at the low levels call with a "you can't push me around" attitude, then having to pay dearly because they did'nt pay attention to the texture of the table or what specific player was in the hand.

eastbay
12-11-2004, 09:47 PM
And your results are what at each buyin level?

eastbay

Desdia72
12-11-2004, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And your results are what at each buyin level?

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

i've won more than i've lost at the $5 + .50s on Stars (both 1 and 2-table), i'm +$ in the $10 + 1 and $20 + 2 SNGs i've played (i don't put much stock in that because i have'nt played many), and i've won two $215 seats into Star's big Sunday tourney in satellites of 100+ and 500+ fields. i'd say my results are fine.

BlackAces
12-11-2004, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok I don't understand why folding here is the right play. Pot odds are greater than 2-1. You are a roughly 45-55% dog against pair JJ or below. calling here is +EV chip against any thing except for KK, AA, or AK. If you lose you aren't even out.

Don't people blind steal with hands like Ax, Kx, and QJ? how do you know that the CO has a great hand as opposed to merely a good one?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think the key here is that villain is loose/passive. I'd be much more apt to put a LP player on a huge hand after a limp-reraise than a LAG. I seriously doubt a LP player would be messing around with a coinflip hand, at least not enough to make this a +EV play.

Fairly easy fold.

Strollen
12-12-2004, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the key here is that villain is loose/passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok thanks this makes sense because

Ghost's comments
[ QUOTE ]
I figure to be a small favorite/big dog if I call and thats not a situation I want to be in with 5 left and be left with 3xx chips.

[/ QUOTE ] didn't make sense.

AQ is a small dog (against pairs) and a large dog only against AA, KK, AK and big favorite against a range of hands that look pretty good in 5 player game Ax, KQ, even QJ.

I know that if I saw somebody stealing a lot from the CO or button and I had a good hand but not great hand. I'd push a lot, but I'm loose agressive.

ghostface
12-13-2004, 01:43 AM
Yeah I botched the part about big dog/small favortie. I dont know what I was trying to say there. Basically I didnt want to enter a coinflip for most my chips. I know now to raise less.

Another question I have is in this tourney I wasnt stealing even once an orbit (less than my fair share), so is this enough reason to think that the limper has a hand I dont really want to mess with since he may respect my raises since they arent coming too often?

ilya
12-13-2004, 02:07 AM
Knowing the other stack sizes would be useful. However, barring that....
If you are confident about your loose/passive read, I think this is a fold, considering the suspicious limpUTG/re-raise pattern.
I think, though, that it also depends on
a. what you figure the raiser's image of you to be (have you been raising a whole lot? that can drive even an L/P player over the edge) and
b. how agressive the table as a whole has been (if many/most hands were getting raised preflop, the raiser might have been more likely to just limp with AA-KK (provided you think he was alert to such things)).