PDA

View Full Version : A9s... I feel I played this badly ... advice please ...

GlemZurg
12-11-2004, 05:13 AM
How would you play this hand?

MP2 is a very loose preflop player (VP$IP around 70%). After the flop he's passive mostly but not always.

BB and UTG+1 were new to the game and I didn't know them.

Any comments on how I can improve this hand would be great.

Thanks,
Justin

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: GlemZurg is CO with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, GlemZurg calls, ...

<font color="green">I'm not sure what I make of this since MP2 hardly ever raises. So I'm thinking AA-QQ.</font>

... BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg raises</font>, ...

<font color="green">I felt that MP2 would check if he made a set so I figure him for a K pair or pocket QQ or AA. At the very least I think he'd just continue the aggression.

I feel that I made a mistake by raising. My thought process at the time was that perhaps I could fold some with an A so that my A may be good by the river.

But now I think that's stupid. MP2 may very likely have AA or KK or if he's just bluffing he probably has A and a higher kicker than me.

I think I should have called to keep people in and just draw for the flush.</font>

... BB calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, GlemZurg calls, ...

<font color="green">MP2 lets us know he really likes his hand. However I'm still thinking he doesn't have a full house. He's been such a goofy player that... frankly I don't believe him. So I call.</font>

... BB calls.

Turn: (10.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, GlemZurg calls, ...

<font color="green">Made the flush and finally remember that the more the merrier with the nut flush. So I call wanting BB to stay in.

Is that good thinking? Should I have reraised hoping to get and extra bet from MP2 and probably fold BB? I was thinking that MP2 is being so unusually hyper aggressive that he may reraise and then I'd be in a bind: I don't think he has the full house but I'm not sure I want to call another bet here just in case.</font>

... BB calls.

River: (13.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg raises</font>, ...

<font color="green">I'm not sure about this raise. My thinking was that BB may just fold (missed draw or something) so better to raise and get and extra bet from MP2.</font>

... BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, GlemZurg calls.

<font color="green">MP2 continues driving hard but I'm still having trouble believing he has a full house, but there is just enough doubt that I don't cap it. So, I call.</font>

Final Pot: 19.75 BB

MattC
12-11-2004, 05:44 AM
when you say sometimes not passive, does that mean he likes to check raise when his hand is monster?

if so, then he prob doesnt have the set and could have like ak. lots of ppl like to check raise sets.

your raise i think is wrong because if your flush hits prob only mp2 has the potential to have you beat with the boat so you want the rest to stay. If you were to act last, then the raise would be the correct play because if everyone called the initial raise then you force them to play for another bet.

i think since mp2 continually shows his agression even when the flush draw shows vs 3 other opponents that are potentially drawing i would go into check call mode at this point, hopefully dragging utg+1 and bb along since even if they draw to their whatever you still have them beat at least.

So, dragging along utg+1 and bb makes up for the money you lose reraising mp2 if you have mp2 beat and you still get to
showdown with at worst 2nd best hand. On the other hand constantly reraising with 2nd best hand will just lose you more money instead of making bb and utg+1 lose more money.

i could be wrong but thats just my thinking.

SamIAm
12-11-2004, 06:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the more the merrier with the nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it's called that when there's a pair on the board. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

More seriously, I think you should raise the flop and then CAP when you get the 3-bet. You've got lots of outs, including some ace probability and all the flush. Kicking people out and building a pot are both good, if you're ahead.

I'd also raise that river and then call the 3-bet. If he has AK, he might think he's way ahead. You can't live in fear of AA and KK. (He wouldn't 3-bet preflop with A6.)
-Sam