PDA

View Full Version : OK to call down with QQ in this situation?...

GlemZurg
12-11-2004, 04:12 AM
How would you all play this hand?

MP2 had just sat down and I didn't know him.

Thanks,
Justin

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: GlemZurg is MP3 with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, UTG folds, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg raises</font>, ...

<font color="green">I figure that I may be ahead here or behind but would rather the pot be heads up so I raise hoping to knock out UTG+2.</font>

... UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, GlemZurg calls.

<font color="green">Now I'm thinking that I may be behind AA, KK or something better. But I didn't know the player so it could be something weaker.

So here is the decision point. The pot is 8.5 big bets. I decide that it would be worth spending 2.5 big bets to call to the end where I may win 10.5 big bets. So my reasoning was: if no really scary cards appear I only have to win 20% to break even.

Is this thinking sound?</font>

Turn: (8.75 BB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, GlemZurg calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, GlemZurg calls.

<font color="green">I don't like this river card since any A now has a straight. I figure I'm beat but there are 12 big bets in the pot and so I make a crying call.</font>

Final Pot: 12.75 BB

CinnamonWind
12-11-2004, 04:25 AM
You're toast on the river. Nothing that he could be holding there is something that you beat. I guess you can call to make yourself feel better, but you're done.

Richard Berg
12-11-2004, 05:00 AM
Looks like AJ sucked out. Sorry.

[ QUOTE ]
Is this thinking sound?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Absent a read, you'll see JJ far less than 20% of the time. Frankly, since there was no cap preflop, I'd consider raising the turn.

HajiShirazu
12-11-2004, 12:12 PM
I think you need to at least cap the flop or make a turn raise. Your hand is still good here often enough against his 3-bet.
I always pay this river off hoping they'll have KJ or something but they never do.

MoreWineII
12-11-2004, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Now I'm thinking that I may be behind AA, KK or something better

[/ QUOTE ]

I think those hands would cap preflop. Cap the flop and/or raise the turn.

GlemZurg
12-13-2004, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Frankly, since there was no cap preflop, I'd consider raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why raise the turn? Do people who 3-bet the flop often not 3-bet the turn? If I raise and they 3-bet the turn should I fold?

Justin