PDA

View Full Version : 5th Step mistake

Irieguy
12-11-2004, 03:03 AM
I had the extreme displeasure of finishing 5th in a 5th Step tourney and am not sure if I really blew it or just kinda blew it:

The problem is the set up: my 4 opponents were all very skilled and aggressive: N3v3rFold, spyhard, comeonphish, and missy. Missy had the button when it was my big blind and had raised every chance she could. She was coming over the top a lot, too, and min-raising with her good hands. She had already won 2 5th steps in the past 3 hours, and was playing like she had nothing to lose. She was just at my 4th step table 2 hours before, and made a horrible play to finish on the bubble with 3 tiny stacks at the table including a guy with 25 chips. I was holding my own on the aggressive front, but had just doubled up Neverfold when he woke up with Kings against my push. At this point we all had about 3K in chips with the blinds 150/300. Missy and I were a little shorter than the others and I had Missy covered by a few chips (less than the SB). I have A-10 in the BB and she pushes. SB folds. This would be a clear fold against the other 3 players, but her range of raising hands here was any-2... and her range of pushing hands certainly included all Aces, all Kings, many queens, and any pair.

It felt like a very correct call at the time... but now I think it's a +chip EV/-$EV play even given the pushing criteria she had.

Irieguy

Jman28
12-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Out of curiosity Irie, did you buy into the 4th step or work your way up?

I ask because I know you've usually played $30+3s and the $500 buy in seems a bit expensive.

Sorry about the 5th.

I feel like I'd be too nervous short handed in the 5th step to play correctly, so congrats for making it as far as you did with a good shot at cashing.

-Jman28

Irieguy
12-11-2004, 06:12 AM
The buy-in for step 5 is $1065...

But I worked my way up from step 2. As I write this I'm down to 9 in a step 3; so maybe I'll get another shot at a step 5 this weekend.

Irieguy

Twentysack
12-11-2004, 08:23 AM
Sorry about the fifth, I know how it feels =(. but in that situation, AT would definately be a favorite against the RANGE of hands missy would be pushing with. Most likely your ahead or a coinflip vs a lower pair. So if you want to go for the knockout go for it i guess.

Daliman
12-11-2004, 01:10 PM
Was it n3v3erfold or n3v3rbluff?

Irieguy
12-11-2004, 02:16 PM
n3v3rbluff, sorry.

Daliman
12-11-2004, 07:38 PM
Yeah, that chick (?) is terrible. Was pushing allin from the cutoff with 2400 chips with blinds 50-100. About the 5th time she did this, someone had KK, and she sucked out with AQo, and coasted from there with an opportune KK and AA or two thrown in for the vistory. I got HU with here at about 4k-16k, ground up to 7500, then sumarily had to fold 12 hands in a row preflop before trying a steal with q3o, getting raised, and having to go with it...

Greg Zabawa
12-12-2004, 07:07 PM
N3V3Rluff is NOT a good player. I was in a $110 MTT with her, and it there were 70 ppl left, with 60 in the money. Well I had $11k and she had $12k, so we were both sitting pretty in the top 10. I had AQo, she had A8s, anyway the flop comes Q high and she got a flush draw. I bet about 4 grand, and she moves in over the top with just the draw. Rule #1 in these things is don't go heads up with other big stacks who can cripple or bust you, but she's willing to move in on a 35% chance. Pure stupidity, we were both heading for a top 20 finish, had my hand actually held up I would have made the final table, but needless to say she made her flush.