PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations needed to expand my poker library

Cat
12-11-2004, 02:15 AM
Hi all,

I already have 20 or 30 poker books, below are some that I'm thinking of adding to my collection. Any advice on which are worth reading (for entertainment or strategy) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cat.

PS Re the strategy books, I mostly play NL holdem cash games these days and am a reasonably good winning player, ie not interested in very basic beginners stuff nor a bunch of stuff about limit poker.

Poker Essays 1,2 and 3 - Mason Malmuth
Improve Your Poker - Bob Ciaffone
Telling Lies and Getting Paid - Michael Konik
No-Limit Texas Hold'Em - Brad Daugherty
The Evolution of a Poker Player - Steven James
Where Did It All Go Right? - Al Alvarez
Bobby Baldwin's Winning Poker Secrets - Mike Caro, Bobby Baldwin
Championship Tournament Practice Hands: Winning Strategies for Limit and No-Limit Hold'Em - Tom McEvoy, T. J Cloutier
The Championship Table at the World Series of Poker: Tournament Highlights and Champion Interviews and Strategies - Dana Smith
The Science of Poker - M. Mahmood
The Tao of Poker: 285 Rules to Transform Your Game and Your Life - Larry W. Phillips
Total Poker - David Spanier

Oops, sorry the list got a bit lengthy! Need something to occupy my mind while I wait for Super System 2 to come out /images/graemlins/grin.gif

deacsoft
12-11-2004, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

No-Limit Texas Hold'Em - Brad Daugherty
Bobby Baldwin's Winning Poker Secrets - Mike Caro, Bobby Baldwin
Championship Tournament Practice Hands: Winning Strategies for Limit and No-Limit Hold'Em - Tom McEvoy, T. J Cloutier
The Tao of Poker: 285 Rules to Transform Your Game and Your

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recomend any of these. Some because I've read them, and some because I've heard many good things about them.

jokerthief
12-11-2004, 06:10 AM
Poker essays is my favorite poker read. It is especially great bathroom reading because the essays are anywhere from 2-20 pages. As far as Bobby Baldwin's Winning Poker Secrets is concerned, remember that he was the consultant for SS's limit poker section. And Doyle Brunson classifies him as the best limit player. If you aren't interested in limit then I would research that one a little before you buy it.

jokerthief

Rudbaeck
12-11-2004, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you have a poker library of over 20 books and not already own these four? Remedy it immediately!

Cat
12-11-2004, 10:55 PM
You're probably right about the Malmuth books, but although i love Ciaffone's PL/ NL book, what little info i could find on IYP seemed to suggest it was more for beginners, which is why i wanted more feedback on it. Anyone read any of the other, more obscure ones?

Cat
12-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Bump /images/graemlins/cool.gif

dragon14
12-13-2004, 12:32 AM
Improve Your Poker is a great book. The essays are short but nearly always useful, interesting, and informative.

Also pick up all 3 poker essays books. The shortness of the essays makes them ideal for thought-provoking late night reading.

The Spanier and Konik books you mention are decent light reading but I recommend checking them out to buying them. They are not going to be referred to over the years like Malmuth and Ciaffone would be. My library carried both of those books.

Moyer
12-13-2004, 02:21 AM
First things first. Please remove the Tao of Poker from your list immediately. I don't consider it to be informative or entertaining.

Improve Your Poker and Poker Essays I, II, and III are all good. They contain essays on a wide variety of poker topics.

If I were you, I would order IYP & at least one of the Poker Essays books.

IYP contains lots of good general concepts and good NL section.

Essays I has a large section on tournament play. If you don't play tournaments, you should probably opt for Essays II instead. Essays III seems to be mostly limit strategy.

No-Limit Texas Hold'em by Daugherty & McEvoy is a good accurate NL book, but is intended for beginners. It does have a lot of information though and should serve as a good review.

Those are the only ones on your list that I've read. Hope this helps.