PDA

View Full Version : Another interesting hand

kipin
12-11-2004, 02:04 AM
It seems my last post has been quite a success in sparking conversation on the omaha forum, so I figure I will post another interesting hand.

The game is $50 PLo on the party network. The big blind is $1. Hero has everyone covered at the table ($225) Big Blind (Villain) has the next largest stack with ($154)

Hero is dealt 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif A /images/graemlins/spade.gif from MP. One limper before me, I limp in, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop is

J /images/graemlins/club.gif 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

First position checks, I bet pot ($4.75). (I feel comfortable betting my aces in an unraised pot on such a ragged flop) All fold to BB who cold calls. My read on BB up until this point is he is an above average player, but tends to gamble a little bit and make a few loose calls with second best hands.

Turn brings 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

BB checks, I think for a quick second and bet pot again ($13.80). My reasoning here is, I think the board pairing improves my hand, giving me two pair with the aces beating a possible second best two pair like J5 who from my experience would cold call a flop like J54. If however the BB has a 4, or a made fullhouse I bet the pot here, and from my experience would normally be check raised. At that point it is easy to muck my hand and move on to the next hand. BB cold calls. (I didn't like the call here and planned to check the river unimproved) I think of the options, I would have liked a raise from the BB or a fold, the cold call kind of scares me.

River brings 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

After check calling the flop and turn, BB bets pot ($40) into me. What is your play here?

This hand is a weird situation where the river actually improves your hand, but it has a strong possibility of vastly improving your oppponents hand. (Especially after putting your opponent on a possible J5 combination.) Another thought that crossed my mind, was this was a frustrated 4 pushing the river in hopes the opponent doesn't have a 5.

I will post the results after I get some feedback on the hand and how other forum members would play this on the river.

kipin

toss
12-11-2004, 02:20 AM
I was thinking that the villian would try and checkraise you on the river if he held JJ, J5, or J4. I think he's trying to scare you off by representing just a 4 or a 5. I'd call and see.

mat
12-11-2004, 04:04 AM
really? i dont think that out hero is in the lead here.

mat
12-11-2004, 04:08 AM
i didnt read the hand correctly the first time this is a tougher spot. i think that it is close i probably would not have bet the turn to keep the pot size down so your river call would be easier i think a turn check could possibly get worse hands to bet/bluff

mat
12-11-2004, 04:10 AM
oh yeah one more thing i think that if you are going to bet the turn and i think that is an 50/50 decision i would make a bet of half the pot whether i had the boat or not

jaeon
12-11-2004, 06:36 AM
villian's cold calling sounds to me like two pair hoping to make a full house. i'd fold on the river, being pretty sure a boat is likely.

kipin
12-11-2004, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i didnt read the hand correctly the first time this is a tougher spot. i think that it is close i probably would not have bet the turn to keep the pot size down so your river call would be easier i think a turn check could possibly get worse hands to bet/bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

I think checking the turn is a bad play. For one, it gives you no information on the type of hand villain has, also in the rare instance that the villian is on a draw such as a straight draw, you are giving him a free card to outdraw you.

Also, assuming I don't bet the turn, unimproved, there is no way I can call the river bet, even if it is a smaller river bet then I was presented with in reality, again because I have no information regarding the strength of the villains hand.

USS Gut Shot
12-12-2004, 01:37 AM
Yes, this is an interesting hand. One that makes you think. Did you almost time-out on the end?

1. If he is the kind of player who would call with a straight draw after the board paired his most likely holding would be 567 and you can beat that, or he is stone cold bluffing after missing and you can beat that.
2. If he would not continue with just a straight draw, then he might have 45 or 467.
3. Another type of hand you can beat is an overpair with a 5.

I would not put him on J5 as he check called with top 2 pair on a rainbow flop.

You only have to win 1 in 3, and against someone who gives action I am going to have to call most of the time in this situation.

kipin
12-12-2004, 01:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is an interesting hand. One that makes you think. Did you almost time-out on the end?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I did, timer ran down to about 5 seconds before I decided what to do. For those interested, I called thinking that if he had a fullhouse, he would have gone for a check raise on the river.

Here is the hand posted on pokerhand if anyone is interested in the results.

http://pokerhand.org/index.php?page=view&hand=21594

Does anyone think a river raise is a good play? I can't imagine anyone saying yes, but I would be interested to hear your theories if you do think a river raise is in order.

Big Dave D
12-12-2004, 07:27 PM
I think its a failry clear call on the river. But this thinking "I feel comfortable betting my aces in an unraised pot on such a ragged flop" can only lead to doom in plo.

gl

Dave

Poker Blog! (http://www.internetpokerpro.com)

toss
12-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Looks like he was full of hot air. Good call on your part.