PDA

View Full Version : G N' F N' R

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-11-2004, 01:09 AM

BusterStacks
12-11-2004, 01:13 AM
where's the option for "made 2 good albums and then put out crap for the next 8 years and currently blow and also sucked mad balls at the MTV awards"

Lazymeatball
12-11-2004, 01:15 AM
as long as you ignore everything from the Spaghetti incident and onwards, they rock hard. What other band has an album that is a sequel to a previous album ala Use your Illusion 1 and 2

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
12-11-2004, 01:17 AM
They arent really real anymore. Its just crazy ass axle and some noobs and i guess buckethead?

elwoodblues
12-11-2004, 01:20 AM
G N F N R F N S

BusterStacks
On a side note, buckethead is [censored] amazing.

PhatTBoll
I'm pretty sure Buckethead bailed from that train wreck awhile ago.

Guns n' Roses may very well be the greatest band of all time.

bwana devil
12-11-2004, 01:22 AM
I just got a new computer this month and one of the first things i did was burn all of the GNR albums and make one "super album." I bet I listend to that CD 10x in the last 2 days. They are one of the best bands from the last 20 years. Rocket Queen. Estranged. Yesterdays.

It's too bad Axl has so may psychological issues he can't keep things together long enough to put out another album. I suspect he has some serious mental health issues he has to deal w/.

Five years ago, I was excitedly awaiting the release of Chinese Democracy. Now, I'm afraid Axl and whatever he tries to put out isn't really relevant and he's not able to get back what he could have made.

Duke
12-11-2004, 01:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
They are one of the best bands from the last 20 years. Rocket Queen. Estranged. Yesterdays.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're one of the best bands, well, ever. Easily top 5. I can't think of one that is clearly better, though there are a few to make arguments for.

~D

BottlesOf
12-11-2004, 01:34 AM
I like to think I inspired this poll. You know where I voted.

bwana devil
12-11-2004, 01:54 AM
This really is a timely mention of GNR as I have been listening to them alot lately and a few days ago was trying to find some live footage. Best I could find was their Illusions DVDs on Amazon.

Does anyone know of any other (preferably older) footage that is decent audio and video quality? I'ved checked ebay but dont know about any of the shows listed. Many years ago I recorded a show they did at the Roxy which I recorded on MTV on my betamax (remember those!). I would love to have a copy of that again.

Anyone know any sites (IRC or other) to get stuff like this?

bwana

EDIT: I'm actually not a cheap bastard and would rather buy a DVD of them. I am just open to any decent possiblities.

mikech
12-11-2004, 03:24 AM
Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 should've been condensed into one album. There was a lot of good stuff on 'em, but also plenty of filler crap/self-indulgent pretentious crap (e.g. "November Rain"--when a band that kicked as much ass as GNR uses violins in a song you know they're heading towards crap-dom).

Appetite for Destruction, OTOH, is ruthlessly lean and mean. I hadn't listened to this album for a few years and recently dug it out: time hasn't diminished it one bit. The weakest track is probably "Think About You" just because a rock "love song" is hard to pull off, but even in that category they came thru with the stunning success of "Sweet Child O' Mine." "Welcome to the Jungle" and the anthemic "Paradise City" have already become classics, but personally I think they're at their best when they're vicious and snarling, in tracks like "Nightrain" and "Out Ta Get Me."

They didn't last long but who the [censored] cares. For at least the duration of that one album, they kicked major ass.

Broken Glass Can
12-11-2004, 07:37 AM
The Guns N' Roses policy of the Clinton administration was no more effective than the Guns N' Butter policy of the Johnson administration. This may be due to the fact that all roses were given to a girl named Monica.

Alobar
12-11-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm at a loss for this forums love of GNR, cuz I really don't get it. They had one great album, and then a bunch of over hyped mediocrity. They aren't even a real band anymore and havent been for a LOOONG time.

Rushmore
12-11-2004, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm at a loss for this forums love of GNR, cuz I really don't get it. They had one great album, and then a bunch of over hyped mediocrity. They aren't even a real band anymore and havent been for a LOOONG time.

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!!

Appetite For Destruction was great, for the sort of glam heavy-ish rock genre. I'm not a fan of the genre. Everything after Appetite was a joke, a bloated, bloviating, self-important, emperor's new clothes joke.

I love the fact that there are MILLIONS of freakin guys who LOVE "GNFR," who, if Axl Rose were to walk into their local bar wearing spandex shorts and a feather boa, would have been happy to meet him in the parking lot and kick his ass.

Or maybe fellate him.

Or maybe fellate him first, then kick his ass when his fratboy friends showed up.

It's funny--these are guys who wouldn't DREAM of listening to any of the bands that "GNFR" covered on the Spaghetti Incident. They "love rock and f*ckin roll, man," but if you gave them a Motorhead CD or a goddamned Pantera CD, they wouldn't know what to do with it.

But the second you put a tophat and some leather pants on it, and sprinkle it with some stupid whistling, the gay-ass Axl Shuffle, and a few songs with violins and pianos they can play for their girlfriends (or, perhaps more tellingly, for themselves, when nobody else is around), they love it.

Bleecchhh.

Boris
12-11-2004, 05:06 PM
Alobar and Rushmore are gay.

bwana devil
12-11-2004, 05:17 PM
I think someone has some issues to work out.

Rushmore
12-11-2004, 07:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alobar and Rushmore are gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean, like together, like as in, like with each other? Or do you mean independent of one another, sort of freelance gaiety?

Now that I think about it, that wouldn't matter, would it?

Hey, man! I'm not gay, man! Not with Alobar or with ANY dude, man! Woooooooooo! I LOVE chicks!!! Yeah! High five!!!

Rushmore
12-11-2004, 07:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think someone has some issues to work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess I sort of overdid it a little. Let me try again.

I do not prefer GNFR. They are not to my taste. I tend to lean more toward--and this is just a matter of personal preference--something a little, well, BETTER.

Alobar
12-11-2004, 07:47 PM
WTF? Am I not good enough for you??!! I know you obviously have taste, because you think GNR sucks, so I can only assume you think I am on the same level as an overrated rock band. I can't do this anymore, I give and give and give and it still isnt enough!!! *sob* I think im gunna go put on a copy of "the great spagehti incident" and kill myself /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rushmore
12-11-2004, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Am I not good enough for you??!! I know you obviously have taste, because you think GNR sucks, so I can only assume you think I am on the same level as an overrated rock band. I can't do this anymore, I give and give and give and it still isnt enough!!! *sob* I think im gunna go put on a copy of "the great spagehti incident" and kill myself

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even know who you ARE anymore.

Ok, just hold me.

Benal
12-11-2004, 09:33 PM
I have that concert at the Roxy on VHS. Great show. No idea on how to I'd go about transfering VHS to AVI or MPG.