PDA

View Full Version : NL Tourney all-in Play

06-08-2002, 01:31 AM
Small weekly NL tourney - 5 players left, only pay 4 spots. I have 7 chips left UTG. I can survive the blinds by folding and have 1 chip left (BB 4 chips SB 2 chips). Only one other player short stacked 2 seats to my left (~10 chips)everyone else has 40-50 or more chips. I look down and see Q10 of hearts. I raise all in. All fold to BB who calls and he wins.

Easy decision? Any comments -

06-08-2002, 01:38 AM
i think i would have tried to survive to see what happens to the short stack.

06-08-2002, 09:05 AM
Clear all-in if there ever was one. QTs is way above average (3:2 against a random hand) and despite you tiny stack, you have excellent chances to get it heads-up with the big blind who might even (incorrectly) fold a real garbage hand here.

I don't think that trying to survive another round is viable option: The other small stack will surely not get involved as long as he's ahead and it's unlikely the two of the big stacks will get huge enough hands to risk elimination on the bubble with two small stacks still alive.

cu

Ignatius

06-08-2002, 11:26 AM
The only time I would wait to give the other SS the chance to bust out would be if 4th paid 3 or 4x the buyin (which in most cases if there is only 4 places paid it won't).

Even that being the case I prefer going allin with enough chips to give me a chance if I double through to now have a substantial amount to move up the ladder and to be a little more selective.

QTs will win heads up against one player 59.5 percent of the time. Plus by moving in you give yourself the chance for your opponent(s) to fold and win uncontested as well.

KC50

06-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Raise all-in like you did. The BB should call you with anything in this situation but your hand is slightly better then average.

The question is how did you end up with 7 chips when the blinds are 2-4? You should have made your move a bit earlier when you had a realistic chance to raise and have everyone fold.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com

06-09-2002, 05:52 AM
No question...all-in is the only play IMHO.

Keep playing hard!