PDA

View Full Version : I'm a maniac w/A-2

Fat Nicky
12-10-2004, 10:46 PM
No reads on UTG other than in 3 orbits he seems to be playing too many hands.

UB 3/6

Preflop: UTG bets, folded to hero who checks w/A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Flop: A/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif
Hero bets, UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, UTG calls.

Turn: 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero bets, UTG calls.

River: 3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero bets....

Too aggro??

Grendel
12-10-2004, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I think it's too aggressive. In my experience, 2/4 and 3/6 players act fairly timidly on an ace-high flop. With a raise there's a big chance you're beat, especially because these players like to call with A7, A8 and the like preflop.

You have no flush chances, either, so I don't see this going anywhere good for you. There just aren't any better hands that you're forcing out, and not many worse hands that will call you enough to make your aggression profitable.

I do, however, like the river bet. You can definitely get your opponent to fold an ace if s/he doesn't have a heart.

-Grendel

Nick C
12-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Since UTG plays too many hands, Ace-rag is more likely than it would be for a tighter player.

But, when you bet the flop in this heads-up pot, I don't know that UTG is going to give you credit for top pair, especially since you're the big blind. So he might raise with second pair. Or maybe he's got a flush draw or even a gutshot. I wouldn't rule out a medium pocket pair either. Some players overplay those postflop.

I think the line you took is all right.

Fat Nicky
12-11-2004, 07:28 PM
Anyone else w/an opinion on my line?

ErrantNight
12-11-2004, 07:36 PM
in a non headsup pot i would recommend c/r (or folding, depending on the action) in this spot... headsup i might stop and go. a raise on this turn makes it pretty easy to turn in.

incidentally, i wouldn't bet a non scare-card turn, i'd check/call and bet the river. and i like your follow-up on the river.

this changes if UTG plays too many hands but never seems to be betting/raising them. in that case, i'd go ahead and get out ASAP. if he has a tendency to overplay them as well, i can see him raising this with a jack purdy easy, and would take the line i first mentioned.

but i don't reraise the flop, as a weak ace still has me by the nuts, although i'm torn in this smallish pot whether you should value bet the river if you know he'll never fold.

CinnamonWind
12-11-2004, 07:59 PM
When you're raised on the flop, all you can beat on the turn here is a stone cold bluff.

sthief09
12-11-2004, 08:32 PM
headsup, a J will often raise the flop. I'm just saying anything about strategy, just that you aren't behind all legitimate hands