PDA

View Full Version : Betting a missed flop

Submarine123
12-10-2004, 09:55 PM
I'm having a problem with hands that I have raised preflop and catch either a drawing hand or what I figure to be second best hand on the flop.

What I'd like to do is check too see the turn free but I've found that almost every time I check after raising pre flop someone swoops in with a decent bet and takes the pot right there.

I'm almost starting to think a bet in this situation is mandatory......Is it?

Jay

Myst
12-10-2004, 11:27 PM
If you raised preflop and are HU, it is almost always mandatory to BET out at it (1/2 to 2/3 the pot). More often than not, you'll get your opponent to fold. Thats why the maxim "always a raiser, never a caller" exists. Put your opponent on the decision.

If he does call, you need to know your opponent. Is he the type to call with absolutely nothing, b/c he knows you'll give up on the hand on the turn? Or is he the type that will only call with a good hand?

Sometimes, its appropriate to bet on the Flop and the turn, even with NOTHING! It depends on your opponent.

Pepsquad
12-11-2004, 12:13 AM
Don't know what your main game is but what you are saying seems to ring true particularly at the NL25 games I play on Party. My standard is that if I raised pre-flop and got 2 callers or less, I'll fire at pretty much any flop unless 1) it missed me completely and the board has overcards or 2) the flop is incredibly coordinated. At those times, I'll slow down. I'll also very this up from time to time so I don't become too predictable.
As Myst said, taking your opponents into consideration is very important. If I'm up against someone who will auto-fold if they don't catch second pair or better (even with overcards) this situation warrants more more agression than usual. My experience on NL 25 however has been that if your 3/4 to pot sized bet gets called on the flop someone either caught top pair or is working on a very strong draw, proceed carefully. One more thing, make sure you are actually betting enough to thin the field. On the flop, if you throw .50 or $1 out there, you're not gaining any info whatsoever. Bet at LEAST 1/2 the pot or check unless you really have caught a great flop and you're feigning weakness. Man, I didn't realize this would turn into a ramble. What it boils down to is that flop play is so incredibly situational I've probably made you a worse player for suggesting such an ABC approach. Bottom line, there is no ABC way to play flops and you will forever be learning how to play them better.

Pep.

Submarine123
12-11-2004, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the comments!

I should have given more details on the game; in this case it's 2-4 table NL tournaments. Sometimes freeze out sometimes 2 rebuy 1 add on.

Jay