PDA

View Full Version : Starting Books

JesterRace
12-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Hey guys I am new here and was wondering which books would be the best to start off with. I have done some preliminary research from the forum and come up with the following books: Winning Low Limit Hold'em, Caro's Book of tells, The Psychology of Poker, and once I learn the basics: Theory of Poker. So do you guys think that these books are the best out there and will they be able to help a real rookie like me. I only play for fun now with friends but I would really like to learn the game well and maybe then play more competitivly. Thanks in advance, as I appreciate all your help.

smoore
12-10-2004, 09:01 PM
I can't recommend small stakes holdem (SSH) enough, but a rank amateur might have a little trouble with some of the concepts. I think with 2mos of table time on micro limits you could reread SSH and get just as much out of it as you would a new book.

As Zehn
12-10-2004, 09:08 PM
This link should answer your question.

What three books (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/favlinker.php?Cat=&Entry=51598&F_Board=books&Threa d=928263&partnumber=&postmarker=)

JesterRace
12-10-2004, 09:16 PM
Well don't I feel silly. I didn't even notice there was a books section... Thanks for the advice though guys.

AKQJ10
12-11-2004, 03:38 PM
I've not yet read Caro's Book of Tells, but I've gotta think there are more important considerations at low-limit B&M. Ditto The Psychology of Poker. Not to say they don't have a great reputation (they do) or the subject matter isn't important (it is). Just that it's more important to learn the mechanics of the game in question.

That said, I enjoy reading about all kinds of non-Hold 'em games despite being a beginner, so ignore my above advice and read what you enjoy. /images/graemlins/smile.gif