PDA

View Full Version : How much of your profit comes from reads?

partygirluk
12-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Say you were transported to an imaginary world where every decision you made was in a vacuum, i.e. you were provided with no PT stats, you knew nothing about your opponents and you just had to play the hand on its merits. How much less profit would you make?

Of the extra profit you make from reads, how much of it is from generic PT info, and how much of it is from a particular trait you have noticed about a player?

DyessMan89
12-10-2004, 08:36 PM
12-25% for each.

deacsoft
12-10-2004, 09:28 PM
I could see the results of this poll vastly skewed by the players level of skill in making reads.

zephed56
12-11-2004, 05:03 AM
I'm pretty sure you could train a monkey to always bluff and always bet (bang this red button with a plastic hammer and you'll get a banana), and fold to agression (bang this yellow button and you get laid by a pretty female monkey). This monkey would quickly take my bankroll.

I've been playing a lot of monkeys lately.

CinnamonWind
12-11-2004, 05:51 AM
0%.

My profit comes from having better cards than people making reads on me! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

zephed56
12-11-2004, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
0%.

My profit comes from having better cards than people making reads on me! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
We all get the same cards.

partygirluk
12-11-2004, 09:45 AM
I am surprised at the low scores for question ii). It seems that whenever I read posts on these forums I see "Villain is a LAG with VPIP 38 PFR 17", so I expected the figure to be higher. And also, it is disappointing, as PT stats are heavenly bliss to the lazy man. So all this means I will actually have to start paying attention?

HajiShirazu
12-11-2004, 12:41 PM
You know, I've been wondering about this.
I used to play with practically no reads, but the last month or so, I have been paying way more attention.
Unfortunately it seems that even when you do have more information about how your opponents play, it is very rare that you can use it, in that with most decisions, it wouldn't matter who your opponent was, especially when the pot is multiway. The exception is when you have very poor/maniacal players. It is very important to identify them and change your strategy in pots with these types.
So I would say that having reads increases my profit by 5-10% against 90% of the players and 50% against 10% of the players.

mrjim
12-11-2004, 12:46 PM
I think people are mis-reading the 2nd question. What percentage of the profit you get from reads comes from PT reads. For me, it's almost 100% because I don't really have any other reads.

Siingo
12-11-2004, 02:39 PM
This pool was hard... Becaus it is the small profits that make you a winner. If I play 1h and win 1 pot $50 becaus of my reads and all my other pots just with good play and then end up $50 after that houer. Does that mean I won 100% becaus of my reads? I wrote 25-37% just becaus it feelt right...

Today I think almost all my winning came from reads. Played at very tight 3/6 tabels today. I had 1 or 2 players with VP$IP over 25. The rest was tighter. well I noticed on some players that they always folded at the turn if they did not get very good cards.... 2 players see the flop. The flop suck for me, noone bet to me so I bet 1 caller, turn suck I bet and win. Made over $100 by only this play! Does everyone at Party play ABC poker ? Im glad they do!

davidross
12-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm assuming you're talking about player-specific reads. I consider it a read when someone calls 2 bets cold on the flop and then raises the turn. I don't need PT to tell me he flopped a monster. THose reads save me a ton of money.

PT makes me money when I fold AQ to the raiser with 1% PF raising, or 3 bet the guy who raises 30% PF. I'm sure PT gets me 1 bet per session, I play 10-12 sessions a week, well worth it.