PDA

View Full Version : How should I have closed down this hand and extracted chips?

mart_ph
12-10-2004, 06:38 PM
I can never get my head round this kind of hand.

I had played a few hands prior to this and had been pretty aggressive (trips on two consecutive hands) - so i didn't want to scare anyone off with a big bet on the flop. What would everyone else had done?

I guess the right move would have been about 200 at the turn???

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP2 (t1690)
<font color="#C00000">CO (t1215)</font>
Button (t1400)
SB (t335)
BB (t1160)
UTG (t515)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t1685)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t105) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

Turn: (t105) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks.

River: (t105) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t100</font>, BB folds, Hero calls t70.

Final Pot: t305

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jd Ac (straight, ace high).
CO has 9h Kd (full house, kings full of queens).
Outcome: CO wins t305. </font>

rjb03
12-10-2004, 06:59 PM
You can probably safely bet this flop because it's so draw heavy. Flush draws and a lone jack will likely stick around, as will pairs+.

ChrisV
12-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Saying that you've been aggressive in previous hands and therefore don't want to scare people off makes no sense, unless you showed down both trips hands.

Anyway it doesn't matter, there's absolutely no point overthinking this hand. Why wouldn't you bet the flop? What are you hoping they'll hit on the turn to make them call?

Apathy
12-10-2004, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Saying that you've been aggressive in previous hands and therefore don't want to scare people off makes no sense, unless you showed down both trips hands.

Anyway it doesn't matter, there's absolutely no point overthinking this hand. Why wouldn't you bet the flop? What are you hoping they'll hit on the turn to make them call?

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. The whole point of slowplaying is to extract extra chips from player but with this type of hand you make your money by betting the hand hard early on so someone with two pair or a pair may think its good and flush and straight draws may come along for the ride. If your opponents like the turn or river card you dont extract extra chips...you lose the pot. Also I think the river bet is too small and the call is probably wrong.

texasrattlers
12-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Not sure what the buy-in here is, but at the lower buy-ins I don't think you could accomplish both your goals of winning this hand AND extracting many chips. An all in on the flop probably wins it, but you don't get many chips. A good size bet on the flop is called by the K9 w/ top pair and a straight draw, and with the trip K on the turn he is not gonna let you have the pot, and you end up losing on the river.

But I agree in general to bet this strong on the flop cause there's plenty on the board that your opponents will call a bet for. Then bet even stronger on the turn hoping somebody stays with you.

Myst
12-10-2004, 11:35 PM
For god sake, what is it with people not willing to bet out made hands!

Bet the pot! You are going to get tons of people calling with TP, two pair, draws, coming in for the ride.

Then, at the turn, continue strong. This is where Party's agressive fish will reraise you all in with their two pair/draw/TP with weak kicker, and you will have extracted maximum value from your hand.

Do what people least expect. Do you think anyone would think you have flopped a straight if you bet out at it?

captZEEbo1
12-11-2004, 01:16 AM
yeah, you DEFINITELY don't slowplay a flopped straight in this situation EVER. UNLESS you are in a raised pot, then some different play can happen. Someone definitely hit something.

EnderW27
12-11-2004, 02:17 AM
Yes, you need you bet this flop. You need to bet it because either someone hit the flop or they didn't. There isn't a card to come out on the turn that would 1) help someone else and 2) not hurt you at the same time.

And how sick would it be to have checked the flop, and the jack of hearts falls on the turn? Now hands like Axh are freerolling against you!

stanky
12-11-2004, 02:38 AM
I would of bet this aggressively on the flop and turn and lost most of my stack because that idiot with the K would of gone all the way, you played this totally wrong and managed to lose only T130. Well done.

-Pete

mart_ph
12-11-2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I completely agree with everything everyone has said. I did go on to win the game after this hand...so things could have been worse!

partygirluk
12-11-2004, 09:17 AM
Echo everything previous posters have said. You also have an incredibly easy fold on the river. Seriously, you think you are ahead 1/4 times on this board?