PDA

View Full Version : I might start playing the Party 5-10 soon. Should I start at 1-2?

CinnamonWind
12-10-2004, 06:32 PM
Should I perhaps start at 1-2 to warm up to short handed play? My roll is 20k, so the money would mean nothing and I could concentrate on good play there. I wouldn't have notes or anything on anyone, as I am datamining the 5-10 6max, but does anyone think it would prepare me well for 5-10 play?

jrobb83
12-10-2004, 06:48 PM
If your roll is fine, I'd say just jump into the 5/10 6max game. I went there directly from 3/6 full on Party and immediately did well. The players are passive enough postflop to make the adjustment fairly comfortable.

The one thing I noticed I did, however, is become overly laggy myself with the move. You need to loosen up your game playing the 6max, but don't overdo it.

J.R.
12-10-2004, 06:50 PM
Play the 2-4 and 3-6 on stars, if you do anything, although they are a bit tighter and more passive than the party games. I don't think the party 1-2 has the requisite aggression and is too loose to properly prepare for 5-10, and for a winning full-game player the strategic adjustments to 6-max aren't that hard, just consider it as if the first 4 folded (which isn't uncommon in the 5-10 full). Cross-Post this in the sh forum and maybe search for some posts about play from the blinds.

CinnamonWind
12-10-2004, 06:54 PM
I've played on Stars, so I get that. Right now I beat the 3-6 on PP for 3.5, and beat the 5-10 full for 2.8. I'm just a little leery about the big 5-10 6max swings and about SH play generally.

J.R.
12-10-2004, 06:56 PM
Dolt, this is the sh forum. Its not that much different, you should be fine, just be prepared for bigger swings so don't get tilty. consider this. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=891774&fpar t=1&PHPSESSID=)

CinnamonWind
12-10-2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks JR, very very helpful!

Alobar
12-10-2004, 07:10 PM
I don't think the 1/2 will really prepare you at all for the 5/10. In my experience at the 1/2 6max (bonus clearing) its alot diff than the 5/10. You've got the roll and a solid winrate at the full tables, I'd just jump right in.

blubster
12-10-2004, 07:44 PM
play the 2-4 or 3-6 at pokerstars. that will prepare you

blubster

lefty rosen
12-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Stars 2/4 is Party 5/10 maybe even more skillful. There are moves you can pull there that I wouldn't dream of at Party 1/2 unless I am on a table with the winning rocks I know from those games........

helpmeout
12-11-2004, 12:41 AM
Just play the 5/10 game maybe tell us your thoughts on starting hands and raising standards.

You want your VPIP between 22-26 and PFR 13-16.

The rest is pretty standard.

Jeff W
12-11-2004, 12:44 AM
From what I've read, you are a 3 BB/100 winner over 100k hands at the 5/10 full ring. If this is the case, why are you switching to 6-max games? Your earn may increase ~40% from the added hands per hour, but your variance will increase, your win rate may decrease and you can't play as many tables. Finally, you will go through growing pains as you collect notes and learn the texture of the game.

If you're set on playing $5/$10 6-max instead of $5/$10 or higher full ring and you want to warm up first, then your best bet is to play small stakes 5-6 max games on Ultimate Bet, PokerStars, Absolute, PokerRoom or another second tier site.

scrub
12-11-2004, 12:55 AM
Just move.

As long as you can resist the temptation to play small offsuit aces and 22-44 like the nuts, you'll do fine and make more money.

Also, make sure you have a good afiliate--the rake at 5/10 is insane and it gets even worse shorthanded.

scrub

CinnamonWind
12-11-2004, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From what I've read, you are a 3 BB/100 winner over 100k hands at the 5/10 full ring. If this is the case, why are you switching to 6-max games? Your earn may increase ~40% from the added hands per hour, but your variance will increase, your win rate may decrease and you can't play as many tables. Finally, you will go through growing pains as you collect notes and learn the texture of the game.

If you're set on playing $5/$10 6-max instead of $5/$10 or higher full ring and you want to warm up first, then your best bet is to play small stakes 5-6 max games on Ultimate Bet, PokerStars, Absolute, PokerRoom or another second tier site.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I figure I can win more there. I am a solid winner at full games, as you said. My style is pretty tight (about 17%) and *extremely* aggressive. So I figure it would be good at 6max. I keep hearing people talk about how much money there is there, and I feel like I'm missing out. Additionally, I want to grow as a player by mastering short handed play.

Jeff W
12-11-2004, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Well, I figure I can win more there. I am a solid winner at full games, as you said. My style is pretty tight (about 17%) and *extremely* aggressive. So I figure it would be good at 6max. I keep hearing people talk about how much money there is there, and I feel like I'm missing out. Additionally, I want to grow as a player by mastering short handed play.

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem solid from your posts and I'm sure you will do fine, but I think you may regret moving from the cushy confines of full ring games /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Contrary to popular wisdom, I found that I needed to reduce my aggression and my steal frequency from full ring games when I moved to shorthanded because 6-max regulars take a lot more heat and play back much more aggressively and frequently. My Steal% at $3/$6 was 35 and at 5/10 6 max it's about 28-29. My Aggression Factors rose slightly, but there are fewer opportunities to draw in 6-max so I'm calling less.