PDA

View Full Version : AA question

06-06-2002, 08:12 AM
lets say your in a no limit holdem turny and you made it to the final table. you have one and a half big blinds left at a full table and your in late position. You pick up AA. there have been two or three limpers. you don't have enough chips to scare them off with a raise. would you be breaking any strict rules if you were to raise, then turn over your cards in hopes that everyone will fold??

just curious

thanks

06-06-2002, 10:00 AM
I don't know how your cardroom would handle this move, but in the situation you describe, it would be stupid to give your hand away. Nobody would fold anything but an offsuit ace for 1/2 BB more when he's getting 10:1 or better and all you will accomplish is to shut down the action until someone can beat your aces. It's in your interest that there is a side-pot and that people will try to bet each other out of the pot with hands that you can beat.

cu

Ignatius

06-06-2002, 10:58 AM
Ignatius is right, and in many cardrooms your hand would be considered dead.

Also, say by miracle everyone folds to me, the player on your immediate right. I am going to call with pretty much any hand. In fact, I would call without looking at my cards with those pot odds.

So to think you would get everyone to fold would be very optimistic, unless you play against very weak-tight players.

Nicolas

06-06-2002, 11:35 AM
If I had 1 1/2 bets only I would love as MANY callers as possible with AA.

As others have stated most tournies would have your hand declared dead.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@Hotmail.com

06-06-2002, 11:50 AM
I think it's Mason Malmuth in Poker Essays vol. 1 who mentions this move, and goes on to say that it's outlawed in many cardrooms now, which illustrates its potency. I believe it has since been outlawed in most US cardrooms, although I could be wrong being a know-nothing Englishman.

Alll that aside, with 1.5 BB to your name, you need chips, so you shouldn't be trying to scare off the hands which are in real trouble against you: other aces and pairs. All other hands should probably call anyway.

Raise, hope the blinds fold, play a 4-way pot which you'll win about 50% of the time and have an almost playable stack.

If there are lots of chips left to bet, it's quite often better for you (in a tournament) if people fold rather than play against you, even when they're underdogs. That's why it's a potent move in some situations.

Guy.