PDA

View Full Version : PL HE Hand / long

06-06-2002, 02:53 AM
PL HE tourney, € 100 buy in, about 100 players. We are down to 3 tables, most of them pretty good players ( we have a tourney week in vienna and lots of pros from europe are here). I played pretty aggressive on my first table and with some luck early on (improved my set against a flopped straight) I took the chiplead on my table. After they broke down our table I was second in chips on the new table, which was mostly full of strangers. I only knew 2 players, one of them being the chipleader, a very aggressive and succesfull tourney-player. I decided to slow down a little and play tight for half an hour or so to gain some respect on this table.

On this particulr table there was one women who played pretty aggressive preflop. She raised about 1/3 to 1/4 of her hands (never being reraised) and won most pots uncontested. One time she reraised all in against 2 players and managed to almost tripple up with KK, the other hand she had to show was K8s when she raised my BB and the SB called all in. This K8s was the 2nd time in a row she raised my BB, and after she raised it again next round I decided to make a move on her soon. In close to 3/4 hour, where I ran completly could on hands and stole the blinds in good situations only twice I thought I had to have a pretty tight image on this table. So here is the key hand.

Blinds are 2k/4k, Lady is chipleader with about 100k, I got 84k, one more player has about 100k, rest between 30 and 50k.

I´m in the BB and the lady raises my blind up to 14k again first in 2 from the button. I reraise pot (44k) and she calls without hesitation. (BTW, I had 98o, but this was not important). Flop comes: K64, two diamonds. What would you do (I got 40k left, she has me coverd with about 55k)?

Regards

Martin

06-06-2002, 03:04 AM
Since this lady played very aggressive and successfull, I thought she knew what she did. When she called my reraise I put her on 88-JJ, AQ(s), very unlickely KQs. I ws pretty sure she didn´t have AA, KK, QQ and even AK, since the pot was already so big that she probably would have moved in preflop (or folded AK). So I hoped for a A or K to hit the flop (bad luck if she had AQ), since I thought this would give me the chance to take the pot most of the times. Since the K fell on the flop, I bet my last 40k and she called immediatly. I turnd over my 98, knowing that I´m probably drawing dead, she shows me K8s (!!!) and I´m out.

Ouch, that hurted pretty bad. I will never ever assume that I can read other players hands :-). Anyway, was my play reasonable basend on the informations I (thought I) had.

Regards

Martin

06-06-2002, 04:12 AM
I haven't read the answers yet but this is a tough spot Martin, really tough. It's probably best to ask yourself what she is going to do with hands like an Ace, a medium pair, or even a 6 or a 4 if that is possible (although that seems unlikely given that she called your reraise, you must think that she has some pre-flop hand value).

Heads up it's not that bad a flop to bluff against. K high is usually the best flop texture to bluff against because if your opponent has missed she cannot have two overcards, and most players in raised pots are much more likely to have an Ace than a King. The two other cards are well out of the playable zone but the diamonds being on board are a small minus (not only could your opponent have a draw, she might think you are betting on the draw).

All the same, with 100K in there I might make my play for the pot and push all in. Depends on the usual factors about table image and so on. OK now I'm going to see what happened :-).

Andy.

06-06-2002, 04:15 AM
Ouch indeed ! All you can do is write it up in your little black book for the next time. Obviously if you knew that your opponent would call a reraise with a hand like that it changes your pre-flop play completely. Better luck next time !

Are you going to play any of the heads up tournaments ?

Andy.

06-06-2002, 11:21 AM
Hi Andy,

yes, I will play the WHUPC, since I won a satellite. But I must admit that I wouldn´t have played otherwise, since the buy in (€ 3250) is too high for me, esp. given the situation that only the top-europeans and maybe some top us-boys (hellmuth) will play. I can´t see any fish playing this tourney (besides of me, this is).

Anyway, I´m looking forward to it. I played it last year, too (satellite win also) and it was big fun.

I´ll post some hands from the WHUPC here. I hope, I won´t find myself as surprised as yesterday in the PL HE tourney :-)

Regards

Martin