PDA

View Full Version : On the button in California

offTopic
12-10-2004, 04:01 PM
The SB discussion in the mid-high stakes forum made me think back to when I still had the time/patience to play live.

The 6-12 at Bay 101 was usually a good game with lots of family pots and generally moderate aggression. For those not familiar with the blind structure, there is (was, I haven't been there in over a year) a 1 chip - 3-chip blind, and the button has to post $3 (half a small bet) which is live.

If there are, say, 3 limpers ahead of you, are you calling any two cards for half a bet with position?

Sometimes I had to force myself to toss that $3 in...

bisonbison
12-10-2004, 04:36 PM
I think the list of hands I wouldn't play is pretty damn short. Cause any pair, any ace, any two suited, any connector are all good, probably any one or two gap.

runa
12-10-2004, 08:00 PM
7:1 or so depending on the rake structure makes almost anything playable. I second Mr. Bison though 23o might be a little stretch. I have seen flops with 223 before though...hmmm....

offTopic
12-10-2004, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the list of hands I wouldn't play is pretty damn short. Cause any pair, any ace, any two suited, any connector are all good, probably any one or two gap.

[/ QUOTE ]

I specifically found myself hating A-crap offsuit and the bad suited hands, even if there were more limpers - I'd still play them, but it can get pretty hairy sometimes.

River2Pair
12-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Isn't part of button play stealing pots, though? In that case, the cards don't even matter.

offTopic
12-10-2004, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't part of button play stealing pots, though? In that case, the cards don't even matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

While nothing is impossible, it is very, very difficult to steal a pot in these games, particularly in the scenario I've outlined here (assuming we limp with some sketchy hands after 3 limpers, this will likely be a 6-handed pot on the flop).

River2Pair
12-10-2004, 09:17 PM
i play in similar games, 4/8 and 6/12 at the Bike and Commerce. Once in a while I'll be pumping an OESD, gutter with overs, or a FD in position and bet again when a scare card comes. I don't do it often, so when I do, it usually works. Of course a lot of it is player dependent, and position is very important too.

JimRivett
12-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Games that require .5 or more of a small bet to complete the small blind are usually good games because of the errors your poorer playing opponents will make when in the small blind.

I was surprised to hear that a 6/12 game was played with $3.00 chips, a 2/4 chip games usually generates the least amount of action because of the (visually) small amount of chips in the pot. If they spread a 9/18 game at Bay 101, I would imagine it would have more action.

Jim