PDA

View Full Version : Washington @ San Diego

09-05-2001, 10:27 PM
I like San Diego giving the 2.5 in this matchup.

I see San Diego as a much improved team on both sides of the ball. Granted Tomlinson should not be a factor for this team until later in the season but I think this team has improved their overall offense.

Flutie adds leadership and some much needed talent to the offense. The quarterback position has been a major void for this squad for the past 4 years. Riley's offense is not overly complicated and it should suit Flutie well. He is the type of QB that can make "things happen" for a offense sorely lacking in that quality. I would much prefer that F. Jones was available as the TE seems to be Flutie's favotie target.

The defensive side of the ball is also much improved. The defense was very solid a year ago despite their poor record. They upgraded the entire squad by adding M. Wiley and A. Golden at DE and CB respectively.

Washington, on the other hand, seems to be going in the opposite direction. M. Schottenheimer's offense couldn't be a worse fit for J. George. He will try to pound S. Davis but defenses should be playing 8 in the box. Their offense line is banged up and their best lineman, C. Samuels is questionable. Their passing game consists of M. Westbrook, who is coming off an injury himself. R. Gardner may develop into a player but not this early in the season.

The Washington defense is okay and they do have 2 potential Pro Bowlers in the secondary. C. Bailey may turn out to be the next Deion as far as a cover corner is concerned and F. Smoot, although a rookie, could turn out to be a gem. D. Green, even at 41, may be the best nickel back in the game. If Schottenheimer would turn L. Arrington loose he could be an impact player and S. Barber is solid at LB. I think it takes this defense some time to gel. The secondary is young as well as the LB corps and they are learning a new system. Their preseason has looked flat to me.

This is the type of game that I like to wager on. A team that looks to be improving vs a team looking to be in decline.

09-05-2001, 11:18 PM
....for all the reasons you said and to reemphasize the point about a team in decline - the Skins are very overrated.

Also like Jags -3 to smoke offense-less Steelers, who don't look capable of exploiting Jags D - especially on the road. Rumor is that Cowher's jaw has finally lobotomized his frontal lobe and he may activate himself to run the option veer. The league hasn't ruled yet on whether his jut-jaw constitutes a face guard yet, since no helmet can fit over his jawbone.

Lastly, like Pats-Bengals over 35 1/2 as D-less tiger stripers can't take advantage of weak Pat offensive line and keep Pats from scoring. One of the few games this season that Bledsoe will get an opportunity to throw standing up. Hopefully, the Pats can round up enough receivers to go long. Not to be outdone by Cowher's eligibility stunt in Pittsburgh, laugh-a-minute Belicheck may sign the WR tandem of Raymond Berry and Don Maynard at game-time.

Good luck to all but dork-o-holic Jim Feist

09-06-2001, 04:03 AM
I would just be careful with this game. I don't think the Redskins are as bad as people think. They faced a ton of expectations last year and every loss was like a tightening of the noose on Turner's head. This year they have few expectations and still have talented players around. Steven Davis can carry the offense, can Tomlinson or Flutie do that for the Bolts? Just be careful we all know there are teams that get the improvement tag put on them before the season and they often don't live up to even the modest expectations. And Mike Riley, what more needs to be said than that? Just think a normal coach and they beat the Saints last year! I think this game is a pass, with a slight lean to the Redskins.

09-06-2001, 05:19 PM
One thing I gather from this game and line is not anything about the matchups but the trend of the public perception. Conventional wisdom is SD was greatest 1-15 team ever and Wash is in decline so the way to go against the public is to bet SD. But I'd have to say in this case the whole world deems SD thus (note their season total) and that the contrarian play in this case is actually to take Washington. It's kind of an odd bandwagon to be on (that of a 1-15 team), but it appears the public is firmly on this one. I'm more inclined to just lay off, but the textbook play of scooping up some early SD value probably won't be there this year.

JG

09-10-2001, 04:41 PM
SD, Jags, Ov Pats-Bengals