PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Rock Acts (singers/bands)

BottlesOf
12-10-2004, 03:13 PM
(Inspired by the Zeppelin thread)

In no particular order:

Zeppelin
Stones
Springsteen
GNF'nR

What's my fifth? Guess for me. Then add your own top 5

sfer
12-10-2004, 03:16 PM
Nope.

The Clash
The Pistols
Sinatra
Elvis (not fat Elvis)
The Man in Black

EDIT: Fcuk. I need to learn to read.

Scratch Sinatra, add James Brown

J.R.
12-10-2004, 03:19 PM
pearl jam
radiohead

personally, old school phish and GD (but I wasn't around in the late 60's & 70s)

I really like the roots, but not rock

Sunny day real estate is a little obscure but excellent

jakethebake
Cowboy Mouth

Patrick del Poker Grande
You've both forgotten Radiohead and The Smashing Pumpkins. Also, Stone Temple Pilots.

TheJunkyardGod
12-10-2004, 03:21 PM
Guns and Roses (best band ever)
Radiohead
Eliott Smith
Marilyn Manson (he made some great music and had one of the best live performances i've ever seen)
Bjork (thats possibly the most debateable one, but [censored] that she's amazing)

IndieMatty
12-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Pink Floyd
Brian Wilson
Sinatra
Radiohead
Stevie Wonder

jakethebake
12-10-2004, 03:24 PM
Not great single acts, but great shows I've seen...

Jimmy Buffet & The Violent Femmes (very weird card)
Jimmy Vaughan and Junior Brown

BrettK
12-10-2004, 03:25 PM
Look, I know you've all probably had very long days at work and can't think about anything except the weekend, but please don't ever forget to mention DMB and Clapton again.

Thank you.

Brett

IndieMatty
12-10-2004, 03:25 PM
My number 5 was Sunny Day, they are my favorite band, but I can't consider them a "Rock Act". One of the most overlooked and influential bands of the last 15 years.

M2d
12-10-2004, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's my fifth? Guess for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
um, Nightranger?

how about
Whitesnake
April Wine
Journey
Scorpions
ELO
(tongue removed from cheek now)

sfer
12-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Actually, out of people still around, Jonathan Richman is consistently the must fun.

cnfuzzd
12-10-2004, 03:31 PM
no particular order

Doors
Cream
Tool
Zepplin
PearlJam

close runnerups

GDead
Radiohead
Springsteen (hes good, but i dont think it compares)
Rage
Kinks
Femmes

peace

john nickle

IndieMatty
12-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Is this list Top 5 "ACTS" or your personal top 5 (favorite)?

Please confirm, as my answer would change all 5.

Thank You,

M

BottlesOf
12-10-2004, 03:49 PM
I don't get it. It was an attempt at humor, but I don't think it worked. GNR is the only one that vaguely resembles any of those bands, except GNR is the best. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

destro
12-10-2004, 04:01 PM
Zepplin, of course
Pink Floyd
Hendrix Experience,
Parliment
Micheal Jackson

M2d
12-10-2004, 04:15 PM
Sorry, was picking the most stereotypical 80's bands that immediately came to mind. In truth, my list would look like this:

Allman Brothers
Led Zepplin
Beatles
ACDC
GNR

CCass
12-10-2004, 04:16 PM
In no particular order:

Led Zepplin
Pink Floyd
Rolling Stones
ZZ Top
Queen

Justin A
12-10-2004, 04:31 PM
Yours:
Jimmy Hendrix

Mine:
Zeppelin
Beatles
Stones
Queen (Out of place, I know)
Lynyrd Skynyrd (spelling?)

Justin A

Q8offsuit
12-10-2004, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Look, I know you've all probably had very long days at work and can't think about anything except the weekend, but please don't ever forget to mention DMB...

[/ QUOTE ]

(Adopting my best Dave Chappelle doing Lil' Jon voice)

Whaaaaaaat????

jagoff
12-10-2004, 05:24 PM
It's true! Do you see why?

plaster8
12-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Van Halen (with David Lee Roth)
The Rolling Stones
The Who
The Clash
Led Zeppelin

daryn
12-10-2004, 05:44 PM
pearl jam
zeppelin
rage against the machine
the who
metallica

dr. klopek
12-10-2004, 06:17 PM
Rage Against the Machine (you've never seen a show like this)
Hendrix Experience (better than Zeppelin)
Led Zeppelin
Red Hot Chili Peppers (mostly BloodSugarSexMagic)
Primus

also, Nirvana, They Might Be Giants, Pink Floyd, Marilyn Manson (seriously has some great music), and a bunch of others.

Can you tell that rock hasn't been my music of choice in a long time?

bernie
12-10-2004, 07:16 PM
For most bang for your buck. KISS. Flat out. No one even comes close to their shows. Even if you're not a big fan, their show is spectacular. The one show i really felt like i got my $50 worth. (first reunion tour)

2. the mighty Van Halen w/DLR. The only reason i will ever step in Safeco Field is if they reunite and play there.

3. Motley Crue = Chick central

4. Scorpions sound better today than they did in the 80s playing their 80s tunes. It's amazing how little they've lost over the years.

5. Fu Manchu They just plain effing rock.

I think the Stones are a given no matter what the venue. They could jam on anything and put a groove to it. Edit: So could Zep, but i could go the rest of my life without ever hearing another Zep tune. I like em, but damn am i sick of hearing them.

b

nothumb
12-10-2004, 07:20 PM
If I had to make the "great live bands that I have to put on the list" list:

Stones
GNR
Hendrix
ACDC
The Who

My five would be:

The Clash
Johnny Cash
The Pogues
Black Sabbath
Prince

NT

bernie
12-10-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Prince

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason i didn't put him on my list is because i've never seen him live. However, i have heard he is absolutely incredible live. The man knows how to make music.

b

nothumb
12-10-2004, 07:26 PM
Prince is the tits live, no contest. I'd rather have seen him circa 1993 or 94, since he's retiring a lot of the filthy stuff now that he's all Bibled out, but I'd still pay to see him, and he ain't cheap..

NT

dr. klopek
12-10-2004, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For most bang for your buck. KISS. Flat out. No one even comes close to their shows. Even if you're not a big fan, their show is spectacular. The one show i really felt like i got my $50 worth. (first reunion tour

[/ QUOTE ]

When I worked at the Rose Garden I saw KISS and the Nuge. I don't like KISS at all but man, they rock. I also got paid cash for the show and made $450 for selling t-shirts for 8 hours. I also got to see AC/DC, Skynrd, ZZ Top, and a bunch of other folks like Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Bette Midler, and U2.

astroglide
12-10-2004, 07:40 PM
i saw him maybe 5 years ago and to wit sexy motherfucker/etc were in, he just didn't play pussy control

Dominic
12-10-2004, 07:42 PM
The Cars
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
AC/DC
Led Zepplin
The Beatles

nothumb
12-10-2004, 07:48 PM
I don't think he was quite the Jesus freak then. I thought the transition was circa 4 years ago? Not exactly sure.

He is 'retiring' a lot of songs after the current tour IIRC.

NT

PhatTBoll
12-10-2004, 07:50 PM
All I have to say about this thread is this:

If you like Pink Floyd at all, and never got a chance to see them live, I feel sorry for you.

MasterShakes
12-10-2004, 08:18 PM
Pearl Jam
Bruce Springsteen (when with E Street Band)
U2
Radiohead
Bad Religion

Alobar
12-10-2004, 09:09 PM
I'm not gunna bother reading responses, because from past threads I know most all of you have horrible taste in music. But since I like to hear myself speak (so to speak,heh) here are mine

1. Tool
2. Rage Against the Machine
3. The White Stripes
4. Black Sabbath
5. Neil Diamond

gonores
12-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Best acts I've personally seen:

1. Sevendust
2. Radiohead
3. RATM
4. Pearl Jam

By reputation alone

5. GnR

zephed56
12-11-2004, 06:25 AM
1. Led Zeppelin

http://nike.cecs.csulb.edu/~jtdahl/htimages/symbols4.jpg

Ba-bong ba-ba bing bong, Ba-bong ba-ba bing bong, Ba-bong ba-ba bing bong, Ba-bong ba-ba uh
Ahhhh Ahh Ahhhhhh ahhhhh, ahhh ahhh ahhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhh

2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Rolling Stones
4. Red Hot Chili Peppers
5. The White Stripes

plaster8
12-11-2004, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. the mighty Van Halen w/DLR. The only reason i will ever step in Safeco Field is if they reunite and play there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bernie, you are the man. I'm a huge Halen guy. I don't even mind the Hagar stuff (saw them in Spokane this October), but a DLR reunion would be reason enough to quit my job and travel the country like a deadhead.

daryn
12-11-2004, 06:41 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I'm not gunna bother reading responses, because from past threads I know most all of you have horrible taste in music. But since I like to hear myself speak (so to speak,heh) here are mine

1. Tool
3. The White Stripes
4. Black Sabbath
5. Neil Diamond

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon dude. white stripes blow live.

plaster8
12-11-2004, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
4. Black Sabbath
5. Neil Diamond

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about a wide range ... (from "Iron Man" to "Sweet Caroline"?) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edge34
12-11-2004, 06:53 AM
I would just like to know how AC/DC has only been mentioned like 3 times in this thread...well, 4 now. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Homer
12-11-2004, 09:44 AM
zeppelin
floyd
beatles
who
cream

JoeU
12-11-2004, 01:23 PM
Bernie, you are the man!

[ QUOTE ]
For most bang for your buck. KISS. Flat out. No one even comes close to their shows. Even if you're not a big fan, their show is spectacular. The one show i really felt like i got my $50 worth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw them in Boston, opening night for the Psycho Circus tour. Whenever I mention that night in conversation, I never call it a concert, I call it a show. The word concert doesn't do it enough justice. That show was unbefrickinlieveable.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is band 1a for me with KISS. I never had the opportunity to see them in concert, but I did see DLR and Sammy when they toured together 2 years ago. All I kept saying was "I wish Eddie was playing guitar". It is very sad however to see an aging DLR now. He's starting to get that "Old Elvis my gut is hanging out and I have to comb my long hair over my bald spot and I can't kick as high anymore" feeling. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

Alobar
12-11-2004, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Tool
3. The White Stripes
4. Black Sabbath
5. Neil Diamond

[/ QUOTE ]

c'mon dude. white stripes blow live.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, it was supposed to be live?? In that case, I havent seen the white stripes live. The best 5 live bands then

1. Tool
2. RATM
3. Korn
4. Rob Zombie
5. Static-X

daryn
12-11-2004, 05:11 PM
eh.. i think so. top 5 rock ACTS.