PDA

View Full Version : Got GTA last night

sfer
12-10-2004, 02:48 PM
Played for a half hour. I can't bring myself to play anymore. I think I'm getting too old for video games. How do I stop this from happening?

Flame Warrior
12-10-2004, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Played for a half hour. I can't bring myself to play anymore. I think I'm getting too old for video games. How do I stop this from happening?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get laid less often. Oh wait, I'm sure you're already doing that.

spamuell
12-10-2004, 02:56 PM

Haha I like you, post in my thread about you. Or flame me, that would be fun as well.

To sfer: I'm 18 and I think most video games are boring, so it's not all bad.

nolanfan34
12-10-2004, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not that you're getting too old. You're about the same age as me I think. What I think it is, is that I have a hard time sitting down and playing a video game, when I can be making money playing poker. So video games only get played when I need a break from poker, which isn't that often since I only play about an hour a night.

sfer
12-10-2004, 03:01 PM
That's not it. I stopped playing to take a nap. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

BottlesOf
12-10-2004, 03:02 PM
1.21 GIGAWATTS!!!!

sfer
12-10-2004, 03:03 PM
WTF? At least Flame Warrior is funny. Almost.

theantelope
12-10-2004, 03:03 PM
Yep. I recently had the same experience with Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 03:06 PM
why do you find it boring?

nolanfan34
12-10-2004, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's not it. I stopped playing to take a nap. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if that's the case, then, yeah, you're just old.

theantelope
12-10-2004, 03:08 PM
That's like asking "why do you find excitement exciting"? Or "why do your favorite foods taste good to you?"

sfer
12-10-2004, 03:11 PM
Dunno, but I got all pissed when I was riding a bicycle-- A BIKE!--and they fcuking started shooting at me.

Tilt, maybe.

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's like asking "why do you find excitement exciting"? Or "why do your favorite foods taste good to you?"

[/ QUOTE ]yeah, so its a fair question. Most people can elaborate as to why they feel a certain way about something.

theantelope
12-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Why do you find excitement exciting?

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 03:22 PM
oh, well the bike is sorta lame at first. Hope in a car and do some drive by's to "nothing but a g thang". /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you find excitement exciting?

[/ QUOTE ]this is a silly question. If you asked me, why do I find sports exciting, I can tell you why.

razor
12-10-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's not it. I stopped playing to take a nap.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

sfer
12-10-2004, 03:25 PM
ahahahaha

theantelope
12-10-2004, 03:27 PM
I thought you said it was a fair question? My point was that it isn't.

I agree that "why do you find sports exciting" is a fair question. I just think that "why do you find X boring" is not a fair question, and is much more similiar to the "unfair" questions I posted.

The once and future king
12-10-2004, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not at all like that. Salt is refering to a specific object e.g. GTA.

Its the same as me asking you : "Why Do you find making inane, irrelvant and pointless posts exciting?"

Perfectly correct.

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 03:30 PM
I said my question was a fair question, yours borders on the absurd.

theantelope
12-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Asking why you find a particular thing exciting is different from asking why you find something boring. For the former, people will usually be able to reference particular things about the experience that get them excited. For the latter, the answer will usually be "uh..because it's boring," or, "uh, because it just doesn't do it for me." So asking why you find something boring is closer to "why do you find excitement exciting" than it is to "why do you find activity X exciting."

theantelope
12-10-2004, 03:32 PM
Exactly, it borders on the absurd just like 'why do you find X boring.'

In response to my saying: "That's like asking "why do you find excitement exciting"?"

You said: "yeah, so it's a fair question." Then later you realized that even though you do think the two questions are relevantly similar, my example question is absurd.

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 03:34 PM
ty, that was why my question was a fair one.

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Asking why you find something exciting is different from asking why you find something boring. For the former, people will usually be able to reference particular things about the experience that get them excited. For the latter, the answer will usually be "uh..because it's boring," or, "uh, because it just doesn't do it for me."

[/ QUOTE ] I am sure this is going to piss you off, but this is the dumbest answer, ever

theantelope
12-10-2004, 03:36 PM
Please tell me why you find a particularly boring activity boring, without referencing the fact that it is "not fun," "not exciting," "not enjoyable," etc.

The once and future king
12-10-2004, 03:39 PM
I find American football boring because of the constant delays in the action due to time outs.

Oh so easy.

IndieMatty
12-10-2004, 03:40 PM
I find playing video games boring, because I believe there are much more useful ways to spend my time.

I find skydiving exciting because it instills in me a real fear of death, but allows me to live and appreciate life.

There ya go.

You are wrong.

theantelope
12-10-2004, 03:40 PM
You missed the point. In fact you're all missing the point. sigh.

The once and future king
12-10-2004, 03:43 PM
Having carried out the task you set me with ease the burden is on you elucidate on why I am missing the point.

Presently I think I might be missing the point because there isnt one.

IndieMatty
12-10-2004, 03:44 PM
What is the point? I'm interested.

Why would you ask someone to describe something they find boring, if it doesnt help make your point?

theantelope
12-10-2004, 03:45 PM
I think I'm done with this thread because it seems like you're all missing the point--which very well may be my fault for not being more clear. Or it may be that you're all incredibly dense. Who knows.

Anyway--I never denied that you can describe why you find a particular activity exciting.

What I did deny is that you can give a meaningful description of why you find a particular thing boring. And your example of video games does not disprove this. You just said "I find it boring because there are better things I can be doing." That is a trivial response that really is just another way of saying "I don't like it as much as other stuff."

sthief09
12-10-2004, 03:46 PM
it's sad, but poker has completely replaced a lot of things in my life. it makes everything else seem dull. nothing challenges my mind like poker does. I went from a baseball nut to barely paying any attention this season. it's actually made me really depressed /images/graemlins/frown.gif

The once and future king
12-10-2004, 03:51 PM
You have been proven wrong.

Allways a good time to leave. Of course you seem either to pig headed or dense to accept this.

Here is another example:

I find discussing points with theantelope boring because even though he is demonstrably in the wrong he wont accept it

IndieMatty
12-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Ok I get you. I don't agree.

Example: Why is Church boring? Church is boring because I do not relate to the philosophies of that particular religion, thus the archaic ritual of church as well as a man who I do not know, shouting his opinions on right and wrong, have no bearing on me. Thus I find the entire event worthless because it does not speak to me on any level I can relate to, hence it is boring.

Is that better?

What about TOAFK's response about American Football?

It just seems if you can describe something as exciting, its polar adjective is boring, all forms of like and dislike.

theantelope
12-10-2004, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course you seem either to pig headed or dense to accept this.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the former, I assure you.

But I have to say your lack of originality, demonstrated in your plagiarising the "either X or you're too dense" construction is unimpressive.

The once and future king
12-10-2004, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's the former, I assure you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not reassured by your assurences.

Flame Warrior
12-10-2004, 04:10 PM
This is a flame war I don't even want to get involved in.

The once and future king
12-10-2004, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a flame war I don't even want to get involved in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pussy /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

theantelope
12-10-2004, 04:14 PM
Assurences? What, if anything, does this have to do with aluminium?

Flame Warrior
12-10-2004, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Pussy

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take you on anytime...if it's a subject that anyone gives a damn about.

The once and future king
12-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Some one explain to me why I am finding this boring.

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 04:22 PM
probably because it is redundant, and like talking to a wall. Also, antelope has been proven wrong, so therefor continuing the argument is boring.

This really isn't very hard.

The once and future king
12-10-2004, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pussy

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take you on anytime...if it's a subject that anyone gives a damn about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea I can see that questions of dimension are hoggin all the bandwidth.

astroglide
12-10-2004, 06:48 PM
i got gta for xbox as well just to see if it was as uninteresting as it looked to me. i lasted about 5 minutes before i quit. i can still play the hell out of tony hawk though, and it looks like i might enjoy knights of the old republic.

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 06:49 PM
did you just buy an xbox?

astroglide
12-10-2004, 06:55 PM
yeah, mostly just to play tony hawk in hdtv

ThaSaltCracka
12-10-2004, 07:06 PM
oh, get halo 2 /images/graemlins/cool.gif

nolanfan34
12-10-2004, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it looks like i might enjoy knights of the old republic.

[/ QUOTE ]

KotOR is pretty damn sweet. I have it for PC, and it's pretty cool. I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel.

Based on some of the role playing games you've mentioned liking before, if you're a Star Wars fan at all you'll like this game.

astroglide
12-10-2004, 07:14 PM
i think first person shooters on consoles are a complete joke compared to keyboard/mouse

astroglide
12-10-2004, 07:14 PM
i think you got me confused, i'm not an rpg guy. i can play pc games like warcraft 3 but it's pretty much limited to competitive or fps games. everything else i want on a console.

Lawrence Ng
12-10-2004, 08:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe your having too much sex?

Lawrence

Lazymeatball
12-10-2004, 11:00 PM
Ng,
I hope you didn't actually read any responses to this thread before posting that, as that was the very first joke made.

PhatTBoll
12-10-2004, 11:31 PM
The answer lies within my handle.

Seriously though, did you play either of the first two? If not, I can see how this one might be kind of overwhelming.

flame fighter
12-11-2004, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because he stopped calling you doesn't mean he isn't getting laid gayrod.

nolanfan34
12-11-2004, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because he stopped calling you doesn't mean he isn't getting laid gayrod.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, this handle is as bad as the other one. Gimme a break. Nolanfan is about to put some people in Robin Ventura headlocks if people aren't careful.

sfer
12-11-2004, 04:40 AM
Dude, if I'm getting laid to much that's very bad news for moi.