PDA

View Full Version : Handling the early round min raise (pre-flop)

Dallara
12-10-2004, 02:43 PM
I see people min raising pre-flop in the $20 SNGs very often during the early rounds (10-15 and 15-30). The scenario I'm talking about is several limpers, then a min raise by the CO, button or blinds. When I'm one of the limpers, my normal reaction to this play is to
A) conclude that the min raiser is not very good
B) fold most of my hands

I've been thinking some more about B though. I think maybe it would be best to call with any small pocket, but fold weak big cards that I might limp with (A-T, Q-T, Q-J, etc.). With the pockets, I'm still hoping to catch a set or fold. With the big cards, I'm recognizing that given a raise, it's likely I'm dominated and should get away from them.

How do others play this? Also, do most of you instantly check off the "bad player" box when you see someone make this move?

Unarmed
12-10-2004, 02:57 PM
Of course you call with small pockets. It really has nothing to do with whether or not someone raised and more to do with your potential payoff in relation to the amount you have to call. Note your potential payoff normally increases when there has been a raise PF.