PDA

View Full Version : "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" PC-ization Really Bugs Me

GrunchCan
12-10-2004, 12:21 PM
The song "Have Youself a Merry Little Christmas," is one of my favorite Christmas songs. But I am annoyed at virtually every recent rendition of the song that uses the nice, "life-is-happy" lyrics bastardization instead of the original lyrics.

The song is from the movie "Meet Me in St. Louis." Originally the lines in question were this:

Someday soon
we all will be together,
if the fates allow.
Until then
we'll have to muddle through somehow.
So have yourself
a merry little Christmas now.

This is a nice, life-is-pain (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1353597&page=2&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=14&vc=1) kind of song. And I like it. But then down the line, somebody must have gotten it in to thier head that the world simply couldn't bear with the idea that maybe, just maybe life isn't like a fluffly little bunny rabbit, and they changed the lyrics to be less challenging:

Through the year
we all will be together,
if the fates allow.
Hang a shining star
upon the highest bough!
And have yourself
a merry little Christmas now.

What kind of crap is that?

Discuss.

stabn
12-10-2004, 12:24 PM
It happens to everything these days. I heard a lame alanis song on the radio the other day, where they now say "flashing a peace symbol" instead of "smoking a cigarette". I never liked the song in the first place, but what kind of lame PC change is that?

TimM
12-10-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It happens to everything these days. I heard a lame alanis song on the radio the other day, where they now say "flashing a peace symbol" instead of "smoking a cigarette". I never liked the song in the first place, but what kind of lame PC change is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try but the OP is right:
Muddling Through Somehow (http://www.harbus.org/news/2002/01/14/Viewpoint/Muddling.Through.Somehow-163833.shtml)

GrunchCan
12-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Thanks a lot for the link. I printed that and tacked it to my cube wall.

I always knew I didn't like Frank...

sthief09
12-10-2004, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure she says both in the song, in separete verses

IndieMatty
12-10-2004, 12:43 PM
There was no one cooler who ever lived, mayyybe Joe Namath, then Frank Sinatra.

turnipmonster
12-10-2004, 12:43 PM
this song actually had 3 sets of lyrics, not just 2. the original lyrics were sung by judy garland but never released commercially and rejected because they were too depressing. the composer had just lost a family member and wanted a sad song. the producer rejected the lyrics so they were never used. here they are:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
It may be your last
Next year we may all be living in the past
Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Make the Yuletide gay.
Next year we may all be many miles away.
No good times like the olden days,
Happy golden days of yore,
Faithful friends who were dear to us
Will be near to us no more.
But at least we all will be together
If the fates allow.
From now on we'll have to muddle through somehow.
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now.