PDA

View Full Version : 88- Overpair, paired board at river.

Fat Nicky
12-10-2004, 11:40 AM
2nd hand at table, no read on the villain.

UB 5/10 (10 players

Pre-flop: Villain in MP calls, Hero calls from SB w/8/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, BB checks.

3 to the flop for 3 SBs.

I think I might have missed a raise here. I'm always unsure of when to raise from the blind positions.

Flop: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero bets, BB calls, Villain calls.

3 to the turn for 3 BB.

Turn: 3/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero bets, BB folds, Villain calls.

2 to the river for 5 BBs.

River: 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero bets, Villain raises, Hero???

MHarris
12-10-2004, 12:25 PM
I like raising 1 limper out of the SB with a hand like 88. I hate giving the BB a free flop and it also allows me to take the initiative in the hand immediately.

I'm calling the raise. 1 in 8 times is reasonable for villain to have a 6 or a busted draw. When you are beat, you'll at least get a little info on villain for the future.

Brunger
12-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Reading the hand from a 3rd party prospective I think I like raising pre-flop although I rarely do it in practcie /images/graemlins/confused.gif Your betting looks like top pair and yet you get raised when that card pairs. I think that you are almost certainly beat unless this guy likes to get a little cute. I would fold but may be worth a call to get a read.

ErrantNight
12-10-2004, 01:21 PM
easy raise preflop

i think you're beat on the river... in general, you needn't be afraid of river bluff raises, except against LAGs and maniacs, which you should be able to pick up on.

i probably make this call on the river, but in a smallish pot, i'm also probably wrong to do so.

molawn2mo
12-10-2004, 01:27 PM
"I think I might have missed a raise here. I'm always unsure of when to raise from the blind positions."

Playing out of SB, the PF raise here attempts to elimnate BB and go HU against MP limper. This is imperative since 88 plays much better HU then 3 way, IMO. Your 88 is certainly best here. The PF raise allows you to take the initiative and auto bet the flop.

MoreWineII
12-10-2004, 01:38 PM
I like a raise preflop.

And I'm calling the river raise.

holdemfan
12-10-2004, 02:14 PM
A raise would not get rid of Villan, maybe BB but then your only player has the real hand if overcards drop(28 of 50 to beat you) and your out of position. MP either has something worth playing or doesnt have a clue to position and # of players needed for a drawing hand. Either case you will probably get called for 1SB. What the raise would do on this flop is you now could represent anything including an overpair and might have gotten the pot on the flop bet. Would someone stay if they hit a pair of 7s after preflop bet? Depends on player. River bet by villian may be the winning hand but also looks like deperation bet. Call.

Reasons to not raise preflop? The raise may eliminate one more caller. If an 8 does drop your caller will be wary of an over pair and your surprise of the set is now counterfieted because they think you may already have the top pair thus not giving you extra bets thru the turn and river. If they spike their overcard they will probably check and call. You would rather they got agressive on you with your hidden set. They may just fold if they think you have a big pair. No bets if they fold. Not raising decreases drawing odds for them and if your don't get the hand you save bets.
In my humble opinion,
Holdemfan

Luke
12-10-2004, 02:36 PM
I'd always raise preflop here unless the limper was a really tough player who could be getting cute with a big hand and even then I'd still probably raise.

You have to call the river as you'll see a busted draw or A6 enough times to make the call profitable given the pot size.

Luke

SamIAm
12-10-2004, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I might have missed a raise here. I'm always unsure of when to raise from the blind positions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think think you definitely need to raise here. You're playing the hand for sure, and you'd rather have fewer players. If the flop has a high-card in it, you've got a good semi-bluff setup for you.

I think you can fold the river, though. It'd be a pretty funky trick, and the pair just scares you. Maybe they had an over pair and played it badly the whole way. Maybe they've got a seven. I can't imagine that you're still winning. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
-Sam