PDA

View Full Version : Raising Draws

johnnycakes
12-10-2004, 09:56 AM
You have T/images/graemlins/heart.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif in the big blind.

There's one LP limper, SB completes and you check.

Flop is 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif

For whatever reason, you KNOW the limper has an Ace.

You are behind, but you are a favorite to win the hand by the river.

Do you want to get as many bets in on the flop as you can, because you are a favorite at this point to win the hand?

Or do you just want to call with your proper pot odds because you are still drawing?

Thanks.

Rudbaeck
12-10-2004, 10:56 AM
Get as many bets in as you can. Pumping your draws is big cash. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cornell Fiji
12-10-2004, 11:15 AM
If I KNOW that the limper has an ace I would assume that he is going to bet it here on such a draw friendly board so I would probably go for a check-raise. What this does is enable you to possibly trap the small blind in for some bets and also gives the LP player the opportunity to 3-bet you (I would probably cap but that is player dependant)

But yes, I would bet even before my hand was made

-Steve

darydarling
12-10-2004, 11:23 AM
Yeah I'm betting or check raising here. In the lower limits I play in online and live I have found even if someone is sitting on a pair of Aces with great kicker they'll still give you a free card on the turn just in case...thus allowing me to go for my draw and if I don't get it by the river check folding.
It can be a win win situation.

johnnycakes
12-10-2004, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have found even if someone is sitting on a pair of Aces with great kicker they'll still give you a free card on the turn just in case...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a really good point. It would be correct to just check-call on the turn if you don't make your hand (from a purely pot odds and hand strength persepctive. This is not considering any "folding equity" your bet would have.) because you are no longer the favorite to win the hand.
If you can get the free card, all the better.