PDA

View Full Version : Starting Hands in Small Stakes Hold 'em book

Andros
12-10-2004, 09:51 AM
On pps 80-83 of "Small Stakes Hold 'em," I do not understand the recommendation for Big Blind play against a raise. The text says to play the "same hands that you would play from late position for one bet, except remove the weak offsuit hands AT, KJ-KT, QJ-QT, and JT." What does it mean by "for one bet"? Does it mean to raise only once or is does it mean to play the same as late position should play against a single raise? If the latter, Late Position is not supposed to play against AT, KJ-KT, QJ-QT, or JT anyway, so the recommendation to not play those hands is inconsistent.

Also, why is there not guideline for how to respond "Against a Raise and a Reraise" for either Small Blind of Big Blind? Should we automatically fold against a reraise in these positions?

Any help would be appreciated.

cepstrum
12-10-2004, 10:10 AM
You wrote: "The text says to play the "same hands that you would play from late position for one bet, except remove the weak offsuit hands AT, KJ-KT, QJ-QT, and JT." What does it mean by "for one bet"? Does it mean to raise only once or is does it mean to play the same as late position should play against a single raise?"

No, it means that if the pot is raised and you are in the big blind, you should play the same hands that you would play if you were in late position and the pot was _not_ raised. in both cases, you are playing for one bet. in late position in an unraised pot, you put in one bet to see the flop. in the big blind in a raised pot, you put in one bet (above the blind, which you have already put in) to see the flop. it does not mean that you put in a raise. get it?

You also wrote: "Also, why is there not guideline for how to respond "Against a Raise and a Reraise" for either Small Blind of Big Blind? Should we automatically fold against a reraise in these positions?"

no, you don't automatically fold. note that the "what to play against a raise and a reraise" recommendations are quite consistent, whether you are in early or late positions. they are also very tight. play the same hands from the blinds. iirc, aces, kings, queens, aks. right?

cepstrum

Andros
12-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Thanks for your reply. That clears things up quite a bit.

Here's a follow-up question for anyone to answer:

In the Loose Game, Late Position box on p. 83, the text gives guidelines for four or more players, and says to revert to the Tight Games guidelines when fewer than four are in the pot. These Tight Game guidelines, however, distinguish between whether there are three or two players in the pot. Does that mean that in late position for Loose Games, there are distinctions to be made depending on whether there are two or fewer, exactly three, or four or more players in the pot?

Similarly, the Big Blind text for Loose Games says to use the Late Position guidelines against a raise. Does it have the same three-way distinction?

I'm not trying to be too anal about this, but I'm trying to learn the material by creating a chart, which is easier for me to understand.