PDA

View Full Version : missed a bet or saved a bet?

Guy McSucker
12-10-2004, 09:15 AM
Party $5/10 6-max.

Main opponent here is kind of aggressive but has shown down decent hands in the few laps he's been here: not necessarily premium starts, but solid hits of the board, and no trash.

I have 9-9, suits not relevant, on the button. Foe open-raises in CO.

I 3-bet: is that a routine move or reserved for someone who sometimes raises a little light?

SB cold calls - he's a loosy so that could be anything - and my foe calls.

Flop: T 9 3 rainbow. SB checks, foe bets, I raise, SB folds, foe calls.

Turn: another T. He checks, I bet, he check-raises, I 3-bet, he caps.

River: 8. He bets, I raise, he 3-bets.

If I do not cap it here, am I missing a bet or saving one in your opinion? Or does this kind of thing just not really matter much?

Guy.

Trix
12-10-2004, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I 3-bet: is that a routine move or reserved for someone who sometimes raises a little light?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dont think I have met any at 6max where folding you have been right yet. 66 is where I can go either way.

I think you will see something else than TT more than 50% so I cap.

imitation
12-10-2004, 09:32 AM
9T and 8T also beat you.

turnipmonster
12-10-2004, 11:38 AM
hey guy I think it's very player dependent. against a sane player I think you are saving one, but there are plenty of 6 maxers crazy enough to cap both streets with AT especially if they are tilting or something.

in the end I don't think it matters much. you are even over T9 and 33 (3 ways each) and both T8 and T3 are unlikely. if he is likely to go insane with just trips then that maybe swings it into a cap for me. 33 is maybe a little more likely a cold calling hand, but against most loose players it's hard to say.

for what it's worth I cap because for maximum profit and also maximum pain /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

--turnipmonster

Guy McSucker
12-10-2004, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

against a sane player I think you are saving one, but there are plenty of 6 maxers crazy enough to cap both streets with AT especially if they are tilting or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. So at least not everyone thinks it's amazingly weak just to call here. Phew!

I had no evidence that this guy was a chip-sprayer, but on balance, given that he normally played "proper" starting hands - not just premiums but not trash - I am only realistically behind to TT or perhaps T9 suited. Other ten-bearing hands like At, KT, QT, JT are more likely.

I think I should probably have capped.

I didn't. He had KT.

Guy.

DavidLemon
12-10-2004, 02:56 PM
I personally think thats an easy cap... you 3 bet him preflop, then showed strength with a flop raise. He probably has you on JJ-AA and thinks his T is good. 9Ts doesn't seem likely to me, but maybe thats just because I'm tighter than most of you guys. And if he flips over quads, he flips over quads. I would expect AT most of the time. This is also about my 10th post so you can disregard it if you want /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

usmfan
12-10-2004, 06:52 PM
I read a post once that said if you haven't lost a lot of money on a boat, then you haven't played enough. I would have to be really, really sure that my boat was beat to not cap on the river. If I were foe and holding TT, the I'm a little troubled by the 9T being on the board with someone possibly holding QJ, thus I bet and cap when its raised back to me. Instead your foe only calls the 3 bet. Either he's slowplaying what turns into quads or another higher pp (in which case I probably cap the flop also). Either you're drawing dead or you're way ahead. I just don't see T9 or T8 based on your read. Therefore, I'm capping the river and if he beats me with quads then so be it.

1800GAMBLER
12-11-2004, 09:07 PM
You should def. def. def. cap. Anytime it's tough to put him on a hand or anytime there's a very slim hand of hands that beat you, most likely 1 combination here it becomes a hell of a lot more likely that the guy is being over aggressive or being suddenly retarded. I think you see over aggro trips/straight about 80% of the time here.

I've missed a lot of bets thinking players think rationally.

MaGi
12-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Easy cap

hypermegachi
12-11-2004, 10:05 PM
if you are beat, capping it is a miniscule error because the pot is so huge already.

ctv1116
12-11-2004, 10:31 PM
it really doesn't matter, but fwiw, I say you cap.

ALL1N
12-11-2004, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you are beat, capping it is a miniscule error because the pot is so huge already.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often you're ahead is the only thing that determines the size of the error. Size of pot makes it seem small, but no, it is still an important decision.

Oh, and Guy: you raised the river because you thought you were ahead >67%. You only need to be ahead >50% to cap. Him 3-betting the river can't really account for this difference. Cap