PDA

View Full Version : Defending vs a solid button openraise.

ALL1N
12-10-2004, 08:59 AM
At the 10/20.

Button (vpip:26/pfr:15/asb:42) openraises, SB folds, I defend with K /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Flop 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif8 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. I check and call, with the following intentions:

Turn A, 8, or 2: checkfold.
Turn K: checkcall, bet river.
Turn J or blank: checkraise.

And of course if he checks behind on the turn, I'll checkfold blank rivers.

Whaddaya guys think?

bds
12-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Ok - I'm new, am only at $5/10 level and just recently moved from being losing a small amount per hand to winning a small amount per hand, on average, so take my comments within that context please. I'm surely not an expert but think I might learn more if I venture in with some thoughts and let others tell me where those thoughts are wrong.

I think I fold this preflop, because the pot is too small. If I didn't fold preflop, I think I'd fold on the flop for the same reason. You can't even beat A high and button does not play an excessive number of hands.

Benjamin
12-10-2004, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I fold this preflop, because the pot is too small. If I didn't fold preflop, I think I'd fold on the flop for the same reason. You can't even beat A high and button does not play an excessive number of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
No offence, but folding preflop is TERRIBLE. Unless I'm misinterpreting his stats, button attempts to steal 42% ... do you realize how broad a range that is? It's something like any ace, king, queen and any two cards over 8 or 9. Even if he only attempts to steal 25% you are still ahead of his range, and you are getting >3:1 to call: easily enough to play call/fit or fold.

At 10/20 against this opponent w/ KJ I'd try to take the lead at some point regardless of the board. I'd frequently 3-bet preflop and lead, being prepared to spew some chips unimproved on the flop, as I expect him to play back unimproved. Or I'd look to take some aggressive action on the flop and carry through on turn unless he goes gonzo on me.

The OP's suggested line seems too weak to me considering the steal frequency and your hand's strength.

B.

TazQ
12-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Against that type of player I like 3-betting preflop quite a bit.