PDA

View Full Version : Driving TPTK through the streets?

GlemZurg
12-10-2004, 07:49 AM
How would you have played this hand?

MP2 was a loose player, not too aggressive after the flop but also not very tight post-flop.

BB was new to the table. Didn't know him.

All advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: GlemZurg is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, BB calls.

Flop: (16.50 SB) A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg 3-bets</font>, ...

<font color="green">I don't respect MP2's raise. I figure him for an A with weaker kicker. My thought with the calls were people calling with lower pairs.</font>

... MP1 folds, MP2 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (13.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg bets</font>, ...

<font color="green">Here my thought was to cap the betting is possible. But alas...</font>

... MP2 calls, BB calls.

River: (16.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg raises</font>, ...

<font color="green">I'm embarrassed to say that I was so smitten with my hand that I didn't notice the 6 paired on the board. But anyway, BB comes alive.

I (at the time) figured with top two-pair, the +EV choice was to just go for it. I wanted to maximum my money here and since MP2 had only one dollar left in his stack, I raised hoping to get another bet from BB.</font>

... MP2 calls $1 (All-In), <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg caps</font>, ...

<font color="green">I decide to continue the track that I was on and cap the betting.

All in all, I'm not sure if I overplayed the river or not. I'd love any advice on whether I should play this hand differently.</font>

... BB calls $3.50 (All-In).

Final Pot: 24.37 BB

Russ McGinley
12-10-2004, 08:30 AM
Given the preflop action its hard to imagine you are beat here. Realistically the only hands you are beaten by are AA and 99, and if he has either one, then what was he doing on the turn? If he has A6, why did he reraise PF? That being said, I probably just call his 3-bet on the river as he is clearly representing a 6 and he can't think you're going to fold if he has a weak ace. I'm guessing he somehow got in there with a 6 or has AQ and thinks it's going to be split.

EDIT: I read this wrong. BB must have A6 since he's been check/calling the whole way (WEAK).

Evan
12-10-2004, 08:34 AM
The first river raise is fine I think, the cap is just reckless IMO.

sthief09
12-10-2004, 09:11 AM
when BB comes alive on the river after just calling the whole way, he just passed you most of the time. call and hope the guy behind you also calls. if you raise and are ahead, the 3rd guy will usually fold, netting you 2 BB. if you were to call,t hen you'd net 2 BB that way too. your river cap is really bad

BB either super slowplayed you with 99 or something or has something like A6

eagletmr
12-10-2004, 09:31 AM
I would just call here. For the same reasons as Sthief. You want to keep mp in there for a bet, a raise just opens you up to get 3 bet by A6, the cap was a little overboard, but we all make mistakes.

GlemZurg
12-10-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the replies all. I'm appreciate your critisms about overplaying the river. I was feeling that way (even without noticing the 6 pairing the board).

As it happens:
MP2 had AQo for a pair of aces
BB had 99 for a full house

So final question:

When BB cold called the flop reraise from MP2, does that usually indicate a big holding or would someone in a 2/4 game do that with just a pair, say an A with medium kicker.

Would love to know your experiences with that.

Thanks,
Justin

cha59
12-11-2004, 02:57 AM
In a 2/4 game the other guy could have anything

cha59
12-11-2004, 02:58 AM
I've seen guys flat call preflop w/AA and play out the hand just like that