PDA

View Full Version : This free card play on turn OK?

GlemZurg
12-10-2004, 07:24 AM
How would you play this turn?

Is my thought process below on the turn correct? Or should I be thinking differently.

Thanks,
Justin

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: GlemZurg is Button with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">GlemZurg bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP3 checks, GlemZurg checks.

<font color="green">Since the turn card may have helped a straight draw, I figured a bet couldn't fold both players and, since both players liked the low flop, an A or K would probably miss them and give me a winning hand.

I guess one of them may have a low pair with an A kicker. At the time I didn't consider that. Not sure a bet would have folded a hand like that though.

So, take the free card? or bet the turn? What do you think the +EV play is.</font>

River: (6.25 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP3 calls, GlemZurg folds.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB

Becks77
12-10-2004, 07:35 AM
I think that might be ok. You could have bet the turn just to see if you can take it down there. If you get callers or raises fold. I could be wrong but maybe a turn bet would scare away the guys waiting for the four to a straight or the flush draw. Dont know how loose those players are, if you think that they would call chasing the straight or flush then i think your check would be good.
Again i could be wrong, so any one elses advie would be helpful

eagletmr
12-10-2004, 09:21 AM
A read or vpip on these players would help. They limped in early position but at the same time this is party 2/4 so that doesn't mean anything. This bet is positive EV with an ok chance (less than 50%) that they will both fold. Otherwise, just check and let yourself try to catch a free A or K. I bet here for another reason, however. From my experience at party 2/4 these limpers will call on the flop and turn with overcards on a rag board like this. If you bet the turn, another rag can fall on the river, it can get checked around an AK high is sometimes good. If you check the turn, however, they will often bet their overcards into you. Then what are you doing? I like a turn bet here.

Brash620
12-10-2004, 10:08 AM
The turn didn't help you so taking the free card is a very reasonable play.

Fat Nicky
12-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Against 2 opponents I would also take the free card. Whether or not the 9 helped either of the other 2 players hands, they both called your flop bet which means they must have a some piece of it (unless they're monkeys).

Fat Nicky
12-10-2004, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I could be wrong but maybe a turn bet would scare away the guys waiting for the four to a straight or the flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way someone with a flush draw or straight draws (specifically open ended) is folding to a turn bet.

manpower
12-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Ug, tough spot. I tend to bet the turn and check behind if I think there's a decent chance these boys are drawing(which is often enough).