PDA

View Full Version : how do guys handle beats like these........

faxwoods
12-10-2004, 02:49 AM
i was at borgata playing 10/20. very loose table, every hand has at least 6-7 callers preflop.
i came across a hand early with pocket 55. i limped in UTG and about 7 callers. flop comes 5/6/3. i bet out 10 and get called by 4 and button raises. i call and 2 callers fold and the other 2 calls. turn comes an A and i bet out again and callers fold and button raises again and i reraise him, he calls. river comes another 6 which gives me boat 5s over 6s. i bet he raises and i call. he flips over A/6. boat 6s over aces. i get runner runnered.
another one, i hold 6/7 spades in the BB. 4 call and cutoff raises and and SB call andd i call and so do the 4 limpers. flop comes 6/8/9 rainbow. SB bets outs i raise limpers fold and cutoff 3bets and SB caps and i call. turn is a 6 and now im feeling ok with my trips. SB bets i raise cutoff raises again SB call and i call. river comes an 8 and SB bets i call and cutoff calls. cutoff has AA and SB has 8/9. i get busted again on the river with a higher boat.
there are a few other hands very similar to these 2 with K hi flush vs A high flush (of course i was the one holding K flush) and a lot of hands with top pair but slightly worse kicker.
to top it off, i got up to change seat my seat and some1 new sat down in my original seat and he was hitting flushes, boats, straights, trips within the next 10-15 hands!!
i have never experienced anything with beats like this before in one sitting. i felt sick. how do you guys react and get over a tough day like this?

Yobz
12-10-2004, 03:01 AM
re-raise hand 1 on the flop and on the river
raise the river in hand 2

deal with the beats, these are the players that make you money in the long run

emonrad87
12-10-2004, 03:02 AM
By sucking it up and realizing its just variance.

Felix_Nietsche
12-10-2004, 03:38 AM
1st
Realize that anyone with a pulse after taking too many bad beats will NOT play their best game..... Be disciplined enough to leave the tables for 24 hours.

2nd
Realize that these players pay the rent. The next day after a poker session I count the my "luck factor". I calculate how many dollars I won thru suckouts and how many dollars I lost thru bad beats. After a couple of weeks data, you can see a pattern and realize what is "normal". If you're good, your bad beat amount will be greater than your suck out amount.

I find this info helps me see poker in a more objective light....

BottlesOf
12-10-2004, 03:39 AM
Welcome to the Forum, courtesy of JoeTall (http://www.riveredagain.com/articles.php#Tall_Enjoy_a_Bad_Beat)

Monty Cantsin
12-10-2004, 06:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Realize that these players pay the rent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Players that raise with TPTK, top two pair and overpairs pay my rent?

/mc

gamblore99
12-10-2004, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent article. Should be a sticky.

MicroBob
12-10-2004, 07:19 AM
I think I have a couple hands like this virtually every day.

It's not a big deal.
King-high flush will occasionally get beated by ace-high flushes.
Ace-high flushes will sometimes lose to straight-flushes.
It happens.

If losing this much money on a single hand or two like this IS a big deal to you then you should be playing at a lower-limit.

And you should be investigating whether you are playing your hands correctly and not just assuming that you did and happened to get unlucky.

on_thg
12-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Take a deep breath, step away from the table. Find a nice quiet corner (quiet, except for the ringing of slot machines that is), assume the lotus position and mediate for ten minutes on how Niechtze or Kierkegaard would assess the psyche of a player who is weak enough to chase you down like that.

If all that fails, hit the can, buy a hot dog, and get back in there and check-reraise those darned fish.

CheckFold
12-10-2004, 12:20 PM
One of the biggest stumbling blocks for many good players aspiring to expert status is tilt. You see it almost every night and everyone knows the disastrous effects it can have on a bankroll.

Understand before you sit down that it's very likely that you will take some bad beats, and challenge yourself to continue playing your best poker in the face of a terrible suckout or even multiple suckouts.

So when that bad beat comes, just think "OK, I knew this would happen, now this is a test I need to pass if I'm ever going to become an expert. I'm going to continue to play tight aggressive poker. I will not chase with weak hands and I will not play scared either." Then do it.

Monty Cantsin
12-10-2004, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mediate for ten minutes on how Niechtze or Kierkegaard would assess the psyche of a player who is weak enough to chase you down like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, this is getting ridiculous. This is the third response that assumes the villains' play in these hands was fishy just because the hero claimed it was a bad beat. Nobody got chased down in the hands he described. Read them again.

I understand that this is the stock response to bad beat stories and it has its place. But these aren't bad beats, they're just run of the mill poker. Our hero is simply running bad.

I don't know about Kierkegaard, but I'm pretty sure Nietzsche would say the original poster is infected by ressentiment (http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~dee/MODERN/GENEAL.HTM#NT3SRC). Also he would probably point out that constantly getting outkicked is probably a sign that you could tighten up pre-flop.

/mc

junkmail3
12-10-2004, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how do you guys react and get over a tough day like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

With a thirty minute writing session and a revolver.

Monty Cantsin
12-10-2004, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/mc

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent article. Should be a sticky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'll talk to Matson Bisklansky about that. Although I think it could use a few more edits first.

Unless you meant the Joe Tall article?

/mc

sfer
12-10-2004, 03:22 PM
I like to post my bad beats like a loser fcuk and get berated by the forums for being retarded. Wait...

on_thg
12-10-2004, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. This is the third response that assumes the villains' play in these hands was fishy just because the hero claimed it was a bad beat. Nobody got chased down in the hands he described. Read them again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought mentioning the lotus position and philosophical nonsense would make it clear that the entire response was somewhat less than serious. I was wrong. I'm big enough to admit it.

The real answer on "how to overcome runner-runner boat-over-boat type beats" to drink heavily, swear a lot, and bore the living [censored] out of people with bad beat stories.

Rah
12-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Next time you flop a nice hand, show it to the table. Then explain that they would do a mistake in calling you, so they should lay their hands down.
If you're lucky, they will obey you and you can take the pot down.

Mike
12-10-2004, 05:14 PM
The ugly truth is 55 only wins about 13% of the time against seven players. That means it loses 87% of the time.

What happened is one of the basic problems underlying playing small pairs when the board pairs. Any bigger card potentially sinks your boat.

Because of those two thoughts I don't put much hope in any big hand made from small cards holding up. I would suggest leaving emotions somewhere else, learn the odds so you know how often all hands lose on average and play the cards. Next hand....

sfer
12-10-2004, 06:24 PM
If you don't think flopped sets hold up you're nuts.

Mike
12-11-2004, 03:19 AM
You first wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
i have never experienced anything with beats like this before in one sitting. i felt sick. how do you guys react and get over a tough day like this? [ QUOTE ]

I replied how I think about it and now you write:

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't think flopped sets hold up you're nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not recall saying sets do not hold up. I did mention that if you learn the winning expectation of your starting hands you will not be suprised when your hand gets beat _because_ it is a natural condition of the game and your hands Sir, are not exempt from those conditions.

If you, or I had AA, raised and reraised, flopped an Ace and paired the board with 66, raised and reraised to the river and lost to 66 it would be a bad beat, and I may join you in the bathroom screaming "Ralph" to the porcelain god, but it happens too, just not very often.

In a loose game I may see two or three instances in a session where a small boat is cracked by a bigger boat. It is not that rare.

Mike
12-11-2004, 03:26 AM
Whoops, I apologize, I mixed your comment and op's post together. Didn't you take what I wrote out of context?

sfer
12-11-2004, 04:36 AM
You wrote:

[ QUOTE ]

What happened is one of the basic problems underlying playing small pairs when the board pairs. Any bigger card potentially sinks your boat.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is scared poker. That's my point. Is there any situation more consistently profitable in hold 'em than flopping a set when an opponent has an overpair?

Mike
12-11-2004, 05:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wrote:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You wrote:

This is scared poker. That's my point. Is there any situation more consistently profitable in hold 'em than flopping a set when an opponent has an overpair?

[/ QUOTE ]

What is scared poker? I think you misread my post and went OT with your point?

phixxx
12-11-2004, 06:43 AM
Appearently I can't post pictures of funny looking black people.

kurosh
12-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Wtf. Your beat is NOTHING. Yesterday I have $300 in my empire account. I decided to take a shot at a $100 NL 6-max table (my BR is around 6k, no lectures on playing over your BR). First hand, I have aces. I raise to $8 and get two callers. Flop is A/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet $15, one guy folds, the other check-raises me to $30. I call, planning to go all-in on the turn. Turn is a T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. He puts me all-in for $62 more. At this point I'm feeling pretty good. I've got the nuts. River is a 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif!! Yay!! Then I watched the chips go over to him as he shows 22 for hitting a one-outer with one card to come. I ended up going on super-tilt and emptying out my remaining $200 doing stupid stuff.