PDA

View Full Version : The best of times, the worst of times

05-31-2002, 11:04 AM
The hands you dream of. Online NL single table tournament. Very first hand, I get dealt black Kings. blinds are 5/10. One limper to me and I raise it to 60. (I don't know if that's too big. I'm hoping for 1 caller). SB, BB and limper all call. 240 in the pot.

*** FLOP *** : [ 3h 4s 9h ]

BB bets 10. Limper folds. I raise 100. SB folds and BB calls. Hmmm.

*** TURN *** : [ 3h 4s 9h ] [ 4h ]

Damn. What could he have called me with that I can beat? A9 is about all. He checks and I check behind him. (Weak?)

*** RIVER *** : [ 3h 4s 9h 4h ] [ Kh ]

OMG!! I think I'm going to double up. He checks again. Damn. I bet 150 trying to lure him in, and he goes all in. I quickly call and he shows Ah 5h.

Would you have checked twice with the flush as he did?

Later in the same tournament we are down to 6 players. I am the co-chip leader with about 2,400. Blinds are 50/100 and I have taken down the blinds with raises in 4 of the last 6 hands. I haven't been called yet. Now I get QQ in the BB and the button (The other chip leader) raises me to 200. I raise him back to 400. He goes all-in. Do you call?

I thought at the time that he might be trying to slow me down since I had become so aggressive. So I called. He had AKs and an A fell on the turn. I went out in 6th. I'm still not sure if the call is right. I think it's close. I'm not sure what range of hands he would make this play with.

05-31-2002, 12:08 PM
On your 1st hand I bet more on the flop. There are a lot of draws out there and I want to charge them more then 100. I don't mind the check on the turn. You could bet the same 100 and see what he does. Nice river card /images/smile.gif

From his standpoint he is hoping you bet the turn so he can raise you. His river check-raise seems shakey. Seems if he gets called he is beat. Some would call with the Qh.

On the second hand the question is what is the likelyhood that he would only mini-raise with KK/AA on the button? If he wouldn't do it then I would call with QQ. With QQ, I would re-raise much more then to 400. He is in steal position and doesn't necessarily have to have much.

Ken Poklitar

ohKanada@hotmail.com