PDA

View Full Version : Another case of river passiveness

toby
12-09-2004, 11:46 PM
Very first hand at this table.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB folds.

Flop: (7 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (14 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.
--Figure I'm chopping with CO's Q if I call, but if I 3-bet he will cap with QJ. I put MP2 on A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif because of his betting.

Final Pot: 20 BB

Does anyone raise for value here anyway, or is a call better?

Harv72b
12-10-2004, 12:56 AM
I see your thinking on A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, but I'd have capped that on the flop in his spot. Oh well.

I would also 3-bet the river. Even if you're splitting with the CO, I'd say there's a good shot MP2 is coming along for the ride, so give him the opportunity to call 2 bets instead of 1. Even better if he does &amp; CO caps, letting MP2 kick in another bet.

Besides, even if it looks for all the world like CO has to have the Q, I've learned the hard way not to assume that in Party 2/4. It doesn't happen often, but you will end up just calling a river bet because you're just positive that you're chopping the pot, only to see the other guy betting/raising with middle pair, small pockets, or even a busted straight draw. If you lose to QJ here, so bet it....but I can't imagine CO just calling down all this way with top 2 pair.

Grease
12-10-2004, 01:23 AM
I'd probably 3-bet the river. Call a cap. Hope he's not full.