PDA

View Full Version : Help with SNG hand A,Q

Poker Junkie
12-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Hi,

Played this hand the other night and am just starting out playing SNG's and would appreciate any critiques. I have read the post by Aleo about the formulatic approach to playing the 10+1 SNG's and below and try to follow it when I play.

$2.00+.20 SNG Level #4 Blinds 50-100

Button (Zienk) T4250
SB (Hinkley23) T1450
BB (Hero) T1335
UTG (MoneyGiver) T4085
UTG+1 (Jthomas) T2380

SB posts 50
BB (Hero) posts 100
UTG calls 100
UTG+1 calls 100
Button folds
SB completes for 100
Hero (A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif,Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif) Raises 300
UTG calls 300
UTG+1 calls 300
SB folds

I have been playing patiently up to this point and not getting into many pots at all (limping if price is right with lower PP's) So I thought a raise here (4XBB due to limpers, to much? not enough?) would give me a chance to take it down here and if not I would have a good chance to improve on the flop. Thoughts?

3 players pot= 1300

Flop 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

Hero bets 300
UTG calls 300
UTG+1 folds

Thought with the flop being somewhat weak (except the 2 flush) anyone with high cards would fold this or should I have just pushed on the flop? Thoughts?

2 players pot=1900

Turn

2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Hero All-in 635
UTG calls 635

I saw the straight here but thought that UTG who has been playing firly tight wouldn't be calling all these bets with this board especially since the turn was not a diamond. Thoughts?

River 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Results

Moneygiver (UTG) shows 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif for the straight 2-6.

Hero goes down in flames. Was my thinking flawed the entire hand? or just most of it?

Thanks

poker junkie

willperkins
12-09-2004, 10:08 PM
I tend to play tight and many players who are much better than me may disagree with me, but this is how I would have played this hand:

Preflop:

I am not a big fand of AQ with three people already in the pot, so I just call. (The only way that I think a steal would work against three limpers is to push, but I would not do it.)

Flop
I check/fold to any bet. I missed the flop and do not want to bet into two people on a bluff. I still have 10 X BB, so I will wait for a better hand to risk my chips.

As I said, I play much tighter than most players so I am looking forward to other 2+2ers to give their opinion.

bawcerelli
12-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Your flop bet of $300 doesn't discourage anybody on a diamond draw to fold. You should have checked/folded or come in with a higher bet.

ChrisV
12-09-2004, 10:41 PM
EASY, easy push preflop. Raising to 300 is suicidal out of position like that. You're going to miss the flop 70% of the time and you won't have any idea what to do. There's 400 in the pot when it gets to you preflop. You are virtually certain to have the best hand. Take that 400 now.

Poker Junkie
12-09-2004, 10:55 PM
Will,

Thanks for the thoughts. I think that's what I should have done also. (hindsight being 20/20) I really need to work on my patience as I think the lack of it is what caused me to try this risky play.

Thanks,

Poker Junkie

Bigwig
12-10-2004, 12:57 AM
Push preflop.

Drac
12-10-2004, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Push preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree